Nebraska Mother Sues EMT, County over Death

Dustdevil

Sorry, but I have to ask: Where in the news article does it say that the hand suction did not work? I would tend to think that if it was empty, that would be something noted. By the same point, if he wrote in his report that he suctioned out (x) amount of whatever, then would the blame for this death have to be placed elsewhere, or prove that he lied on the trip sheet? I fail to see why everyone here makes so much speculation about what is written in these type articles, when they rarely, if ever, get all or correct information. I personally have had 3 calls make it in our local paper, and all the articles were grossly wrong. I don't see why everyone here is out to hang this poor bastard based on this less then informative report.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those that can't do, teach.

This patient had a 20min down time before they even got on scene.

The article says the AED was 'working'. It can say 'no shock advised' and be 'working'.

using the BVM, its highly likely they were pumping the gut full of air and got puke for their efforts which required suctioning. For this knob to not notice their was a bigass red cap on the end is pathetic. Also assuming it was a 20min ride to the hospital (it was 20min to get on scene) they should have reassessed the airway a couple times and still failed to notice a bigass red cap in her mouth, assuming they ever looked. Gotta love the volly kids...

Another example of vollies at work.

"Save the basement is our motto"

• 1 month later...

The article says the AED was 'working'. It can say 'no shock advised' and be 'working'.

using the BVM, its highly likely they were pumping the gut full of air and got puke for their efforts which required suctioning. For this knob to not notice their was a bigass red cap on the end is pathetic. Also assuming it was a 20min ride to the hospital (it was 20min to get on scene) they should have reassessed the airway a couple times and still failed to notice a bigass red cap in her mouth, assuming they ever looked. Gotta love the volly kids...

Making a blanket statement like the two above is just as scary as being uneducated, because it makes you look ignorant and uneducated. Not getting into the volly vs paid debate (again) I would bet that everyone on this site has worked with paid EMT's and medics who were completely incompetent. I am also sure that everyone on this site has had instructors who were incompetent, and instructors who were amazing and continue to be their mentors.

The guy in the original news article was an idiot, plain and simple. The fact that he is an instructor does make it much worse. It does not mean that all instructors are idiots. The fact that he is a volly shows that there are bigger issues with his department than just being volly - education, training, supervision, standards of practice.... the list goes on.

The fact in this news article is that he was just not thinking on scene, and made an incredibly stupid mistake.

Edited by emtannie

Morris said the lawsuit became their only recourse to hold someone accountable for Mattern's untimely death.

Yeah, her collapsing and dying that initially prompted the call to 911, had nothing to do with it.

It's part of grief, we all know this. Anger, Blame... She died. It's gotta be someones fault, it can't just be a pre-existing, life threatening medical condition.

I agree. Cap in the airway. Major FAIL. But still.. Isn't what happened before that cap became lodged in the airway, important? What was the rhythm on the AED print out. (either from itself or downloaded) Was she flat line? was she purple? The mother was doing CPR, but was it effective? Clearly not. Sounds like another DOA, happens every day. But this time, some schmuck failed to use the most important tool on the ambo.. Which is...? That's your homework.

Edited by 4cmk6

Yeah, her collapsing and dying that initially prompted the call to 911, had nothing to do with it.

It's part of grief, we all know this. Anger, Blame... She died. It's gotta be someones fault, it can't just be a pre-existing, life threatening medical condition.

I agree. Cap in the airway. Major FAIL. But still.. Isn't what happened before that cap became lodged in the airway, important? What was the rhythm on the AED print out. (either from itself or downloaded) Was she flat line? was she purple? The mother was doing CPR, but was it effective? Clearly not. Sounds like another DOA, happens every day. But this time, some schmuck failed to use the most important tool on the ambo.. Which is...? That's your homework.

]

My guess would be your brain :iiam:

Sorry that volunteer isnt good enough. We should just let the medics answer every call and get rid of volunteer service all together because they cleary screw up all the time. Medics are perfect and we know they dont want to waste time dealing with us, so lets just go to a full time paramedic service everywhere. Oh, where are you going to get the money to pay those medics? I dont know what the volunteer squads are like by you, but in NJ, specifically the shore area we have great squads who provide a multitude of functions outside of O2 and go skills. Id argue that one of the best water rescue teams in the east is a volunteer unit that operates in the north part of the jersey shore. Theyve been down my way a few times and they are impressive and professional.

Sorry that volunteer isnt good enough. We should just let the medics answer every call and get rid of volunteer service all together because they cleary screw up all the time.

Up to this point, you were absolutely correct. You should have quit while you were ahead.

Oh, where are you going to get the money to pay those medics?

There are states with NO income tax that provide 100 percent paid ALS statewide. NJ is the highest taxed state in the nation, as well as one of the highest incomes, and you think they can't afford ALS? You obviously know zero about EMS outside of your own little village, or of the government of your own state. The only thing that professional EMS would cost you is the loss of your little hobby.

...but in NJ...

And that explains your lack of knowledge and understanding, as well as your unprofessional attitude. EMS is serious business. Go away before you get hurt.

Edited by Dustdevil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.