Is Your Patient Stable?

Dustdevil

So tell me; if you have only taken one set of vital signs, how can you have the slightest clue as to whether or not they are stable? :roll:

Well, even as a basic, I can tell you that I have no clue if they are stable or not based on one set of vitals. They might be "normal" compared to most of the population - but those might be abnormal for the patient. Bottom line - I've never called in a report where I said a patient's vitals were "stable" or "normal." The best I can do is provide some trending over the brief period of time I am in contact with the patient. I might indicate there was been no change - or I might indicate there has been a change - e.g. BP dropping. I'd like to think that is of more use to the receiving hospital than my opinion of if that is stable for the patient. Maybe I'm wrong - if so I'm sure all of you will be more than happy to point out the flaw in my logic. :-)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, even as a basic, I can tell you that I have no clue if they are stable or not based on one set of vitals. They might be "normal" compared to most of the population - but those might be abnormal for the patient. Bottom line - I've never called in a report where I said a patient's vitals were "stable" or "normal." The best I can do is provide some trending over the brief period of time I am in contact with the patient. I might indicate there was been no change - or I might indicate there has been a change - e.g. BP dropping. Id like to think that is of more use to the receiving hospital than my opinion of if that is stable for the patient. Maybe Iamb wrong - if so Iamb sure all of you will be more than happy to point out the flaw in my logic. :-)

One good point you made, Doug. "normal" compared to most of the population - but those might be abnormal for the patient. " We had a businessman have a syncopal episode during a business meeting. He would only respond with loud or painful stimuli. He was brady @ 50. I can't remember BP but it was normal and his resp. 15. We did notice he was muscular. To make a long story short, that was all normal for him. He was a tri-athlete. His syncope was due to hypoglycemia. One amp DA50 and he was ready to run a marathon.

So take into consideration the possible physical conditioning. Ask a lot of questions to anyone around him or who knows him. If he's a world class athlete, his "normal" won't be our normal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.