Drug Calculations

mandaorton

You forget that I finished high school a couple of years before algebra, radio, and the internal combustion engine were discovered. So no, I did not learn it in high school. For that matter, I didn't learn it in college either, as I never took algebra in college. I just figured it out on my own out of necessity. That's why formulas don't work for me.

I'm about the same way. And many times I'll come up with the answer but can never explain how I got it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about the same way. And many times I'll come up with the answer but can never explain how I got it.

LMAO! Exactly! :lol:

That's why I had such a hard time convincing my nursing professor. She kept asking me to show my work and my formula, and I couldn't since it was all in my head!

• 1 month later...

I have been doing this so long, i have most of them memorized -- but here is an easy way to remember dopamine, which is usually the hardest --- multiply everything together / divide by concentration. Example, give 5mg for 80kg pt : 5mg x 80kg x 60minutes = 24000 / divided by concentration of dopamine (my truck was 1600) = 15

ddddoooooooopppppppppppp -- got to learn how to type -- that should be 5 MCG not mg

Beat me to it. Dopamine is "McG/ Kg/ min. In the field you may have to write it out. I preferred the tape on my leg. In the ER, the nurse has a nice graph to go by. But a couple of ER docs I knew had it calculated out quicker than the nurse looking up the chart. Experience and common sense goes a long way.

I don't know how many times I was drilled on that.

As for other drugs, some are similar to others. Just go over them regularly. If you have a lack of pts. that require drug interactions, make up you own scenarios and work the problems out. It helps if you have someone helping you. If you are first starting out take it your time. The more you do it, the quicker you can think on your feet. Don't get discouraged. And "if you don't use it, you'll lose it". So keep up the scenarios.

The teacher asked me out to the hall. Busted my butt with the board. Handed me my exam, told me sit down and do it. He told me he had spoken with my dad and they agreed that if I did not score at least a 90 on the exam I could come back next year and retake the whole class again since I liked it so much. I scored over 90, thankfully. School sounds easy now days.

Sounds like when I was in school, generation X and the current Slacker generations would fall out dead if the teachers could bust that ass like they did when I was in school.

Not to mention the majority of parents now days would want to sue if someone whipped their kid. Sounds like your dad was a good one. Mine was the same way, get your ass beat in school, you had one coming when you got home. He believed the problem was the student, not the teacher.

Basic algebra, just like in 9th grade, is all I've ever needed for drug calc.