first time emt training

Hello i'm looking at getting into the emt field my class is going to start in jan. what will i face and how hard will it realy be

We know absolutely nothing about you, so it's hard to say.

What we do know is that it's just a very, very, very basic, three-week first aid course developed for rural grade 8 dropouts, and most of them pass on the first try. If you didn't have any problem with grade 8, you should do just fine. If you have college behind you, you'll sleep through it.

What you really ought to be asking is if you will have a hard time finding anything to do with that certification once you get it. That's the hard part.

Good luck.

Get your basic, then get into the paramedic program; FAST. Don't waste a bunch of time trying to work to "get experience". I did just that; wish I had been smarter 14 years ago and just got it all over with at once instead of waiting so long. Get into your medic school as soon as you can after basic. You won't have to unlearn bad habits. Then pray to find a decent job.

if not emt basic what should i shoot for as i would like to actually be a paramedic

Before you do either one of them, get back into school and get your prerequisite support courses done. Not only do they establish an important foundation for your paramedic and EMT education, but getting them done ahead of time allows you to focus 100 percent on the medic content without having to worry about English essays and microbiology tests during clinicals. If you get all that out of the way ahead of time, your educational comprehension will be ten times better than taking an EMT or paramedic course without them. And if it's not about being the very best you can be, then why bother at all?

But again, you had better find out if you can even get a job as either in your area. Many, many, many areas of the U.S, there simply are no EMT or medic jobs available. It's all either done by volunteers or firemonkeys in those locations, or else it's in an area with a glut, so the positions remain closed. Before you waste a single dime or minute of time on a patch that will get you nowhere, you need to do a SERIOUS, first hand job market analysis in the area YOU personally plan to live and work in. Otherwise, you are going to end up just another unemployed EMT or medic wannabe out there wishing he had gotten his degree in Automotive Technology instead of Paramedicine.

Again, good luck.

When you are in school pay attention. Take notes and make sure you read your book. You will need to make sure that you have ample study time. The homework is mostly study.

Good Luck..

The only thing I can add to what the others have said is that in the Basic class good old fashion common sense will carry you a long way. Pay attention, don't hesitate to ask questions or answer them if they are from the instructor. Relax and have fun with it. As you go through your Basic class you can get information on the more advanced classes and levels of EMS.

Good luck.

My advice is to pay very close attention, but also to try to relax. My teachers told me that I was way to nervous during practical exams and was getting myself all psyched up. I did pass all of them and also the state exam...but not without large amounts of stress, sweating, headaches, and sleepless nights before class. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I would say use your family and friends to help you also. I know that a few times I talked a few of my frends into "hanging out" with me at the park while I used them to practice my assesments on alot and even more now that I am moving on. I know that I psyched myself out for a lot of little things too (lots of people do). Oh and read the section before the class, may not seem important but it might help out a little.

Good luck

I would say use your family and friends to help you also. I know that a few times I talked a few of my frends into "hanging out" with me at the park while I used them to practice my assesments on alot and even more now that I am moving on. I know that I psyched myself out for a lot of little things too (lots of people do). Oh and read the section before the class, may not seem important but it might help out a little.

Good luck

Like playing doctor???

Sorry, couldn't resist, Sputnik