LOOKING FOR EMS MEDIC JOB IN FLORIDA

MSBMEDIC

WANTING TO LEAVE ILLINOIS AND MOVE TO FL. LOOKING AT PRIVATE CO CALLED SUNSTAR. PLEASE GIVE ME INFO FROM THE "CLOSET" NOT WHAT I GET FROM THEIR WEBSITES.

ALSO LOOKING AT OTHER PLACES BUT THEY SEEM TO BE MORE GOVT. RUN, I KNOW SUNSTAR IS BUT SEEMS TO BE MORE INDEPENDENT. IN ADDITION IM PLANING ON TAKING THE TEST SO I CAN SWITCH OVER TO A "FLORIDA" MEDIC LICENSE

I DONT KNOW ABOUT FL. EMS. IM NOT SURE IF I WOULD QUALIFY FOR GOV. AGENCY DUE TO THE FACT I'M NOT GOD LIKE F.F. WITH JUST A "MEDIC" LIC. YOU SEE IM 36 YO MEDIC, NOT A F.F.. I ONLY WORKED ON PRIVATE SIDE AND DID "911" THROUGH CONTRACT WITH F.D.. I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS?.

1. IN FL. DO YOU NEED TO BE A F.F. WITH MEDIC LIC. TO GET HIRED ON THESE JOBS

2. DO YOU NEED TO NREMT--P TO GET A JOB IN FL.

3. DO THEY TAKE 36 YO MALES WHO WANT CHANGE IN THEIR LIFE AND A DIFFERENT STATE FOR THAT CHANGE

4. WHY IS FLORIDA NEEDING SO MANY MEDICS, IS IT DO TO MEDICS BEING MISTREATED BY THE BIG WIGS.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW, IM NEW TO THESE SITES AND ABOUT EMS IN FL.

Unlock your CAPS button please!

No, you don't have to be a F.F. to work in Florida. But, Florida is a large fire based EMS state so it might help to chill the fire god and just a medic attitude.

There are a few county EMS services in that area such as Lee County that have decent pay and benefits.

Florida likes ALS everything from ambulances to engines to golf carts. Many of the services have 2 Paramedics per truck. There are few if any BLS only 911 response in this state. ALS something will run also.

Florida has its own state EMT-P test which is not the NREMT-P.

36 y/o? That would depend on your physical shape and conditioning.

Here's a rough list of the EMS providers in FL and whether they are Fire, private or gov.

http://www.floridaemstars.com/pilot_group.htm

As vent stated, figure out what you want. There are some very good county run EMS only services. Lee County, Lake/Sumter, Leon county. A lot of your smaller counties in N FL are EMS only services. You need to figure where you want to live.

Personally, I wouldn't go south of Ocala! ( No offense Vent)

If you have your state lic, in IL. then you need to show proof of the training you had. If it meets FL standards, then you can take the state exam and get you lic.

Like Vent said, almost all of the state is ALS. Even the counties that have one ambulance are ALS services. There is no BLS only, there.

If you need any help, just ask.

Are you wanting to go to Florida specifically, or just move south? South Georgia has several good agencies right on the border.

Most of your small county services, and many of the larger ones, are EMS only, some share a station with fire, but are independent.

Georgia uses National Registry, and has a fairly good reprocity system in place. I know of one county right on the Florida line that is currently offering a $5000 sign on bonus for Paramedics.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Sunstar is a private EMS company(Paramedics plus) running under a county contract. The word on the street is that the county contract is comming to an end soon and that the county FDs(individual cities) may be taking over transports(will save tax payers $24million/year, which only comes out to $25/person per year). I beleive Paramedic hourly pay is around $12-13/hr and you can not work 24 hour shifts.

photoservletso2.th.jpgthpix.gif

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/H....1.1&sflg=1

That picture is funny (above)...... I don't care who you are...... (well, not for the EMT injured, but that picture is really worth a thousand words). Not to mention.... We pay better then SunStar and have recently hired a few people from there who jumped ship. Anyway, as many times before I've stated and twice on this forum post already, Lee County or Lake/Sumter or your best bet. Both pay great salary, benefits and are 9-1-1 ALS certified. Lake/Sumter is a collaboration effort between two coutnies and Lee County is a 3rd service County Based EMS service. I currently work for Lee County and I really do enjoy it.

PM me if you would like more info.... or just search the forums for Lee County posts........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.