Sept. 11

defib_wizard

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What follows is the FDNY EMS Command's "Ops Order" re observance of the September 11th Attack. Perhaps you can use this, or base your observances for the future on it. Time references are for Eastern Daylight Savings Time, which is normally in effect on this day.

BUREAU OF OPERATIONS

EMS COMMAND ORDER 2008-151

September 5, 2008

SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ATTACKS

ON THE WORLD TRADE CENTER

1. GENERAL INFORMATION

1.1 On Thursday, September 11th, 2008, the City will commemorate the seventh anniversary

of the attacks on the World Trade Center. The observance will take place at Zuccotti

Park, located on Liberty Street between Broadway and Church Street, NYC on the

morning of September 11th.

1.2 Family members paired together with international students who represent the 91

countries that lost individuals in the tragedy, will read the names of the victims during the

ceremony, while music will provide a backdrop throughout the program. The ceremony

will pause at four moments - twice to mark the times that each plane hit the towers (0846

and 0903 hours) and twice to mark each time when each tower fell (0959 and 1029

hours). The first moment of silence will be at 0846 hours and as always, houses of

worship will be encouraged to toll their bells at that time.

1.3 While the names are read, family members will be able to walk down Liberty Street and

descend the ramp to the lowest level of the site where they may lay flowers. The

ceremony will conclude at approximately noon, however, the site will remain open to

families until approximately 1530 hours.

1.4 At sundown, the “Tribute of Light” will return for one night as a tribute to the memory of

those lost. The “Tribute of Light” will be located at West and Morris Streets in Lower

Manhattan.

1.5 As a mark of respect to those members of the Department who made the Supreme

Sacrifice on September 11th, 2001, all Firehouses, Headquarters, EMS Stations and

FDNY Facilities shall affect the following:

1.5.1 Department Apparatus (where applicable) shall be pulled onto the apron of

quarters at 0846 hours where the members shall observe a moment of silence.

1.5.2 Station officers may read the attached prayer, composed by Monsignor Delendick

and Rabbi Potasnik, before placing apparatus back in quarters.

1.5.3 Companies shall observe additional moments of silence at 0903, 0959 and 1029

hours.

1.5.4 All FDNY family members are invited to attend the EMS Station/Firehouse

ceremony.

1.6 At 0830 hours, the EMS Academy will host its annual September 11th Memorial Service

in front of the EMS Academy at Fort Totten, Building 325. All members and their

families, as well as members of other city services and the military are invited to attend.

1.7 At 0930 hours, members of Battalion 18 will host the seventh annual memorial services

at the Firefighters Memorial Monument on Riverside Drive and 100th Street (Upper

West Side of Manhattan). All firefighters and family members are invited to attend. A

Mass at St. John the Divine Cathedral will follow at 1215 hours.

1.8 At 1400 hours, a Memorial Service will be held at Fire Department Headquarters. All

members are invited to attend.

1.9 At 1800 hours, the Office of the Staten Island Borough President will host a memorial

service at the Staten Island September 11th Memorial located adjacent to the Staten

Island Ferry Terminal. All members and their families are invited to attend.

1.10 At 1800 hours, the FDNY Retirees Association, in conjunction with the Alice Austen

House, will host a candlelight vigil at Hylan Boulevard and Edgewater Street, Staten

Island. All members and their families are invited to attend.

2. PRAYER FOR SEPTEMBER 11, 2008

(To be read by officer a few moments before the first minute of silence – 0846 hours)

Religious tradition teaches us that “The eyes are composed of two parts, the light and the dark.”

On this difficult day, we again look through the darkness of 9/11 and recall the undying love of

those who have been lost to us. Death may destroy life, but it cannot destroy the relationships of

those who shared their dreams of tomorrow with us.

The father of two sons, a firefighter and a police officer who were killed that day when asked,

“Do you blame God?” answered, “God did not kill my children, terrorists did.” Thus we

recognize that our faith in God has enabled us to face the pain of evil and find the humanity of

the many decent people who stand with us as one family.

God of all people, on this day and every day we continue to believe in your greatness and the

goodness that shows us we belong to one another. We will not allow the horror of yesterday to

prevent us from seeing the hope of tomorrow.

We of all faiths stand as one family fashioned by You, the God of all people.

(To be read at the end of the third minute of silence – 0959 hours)

Heavenly Father of us all, we stand here in your presence and with our minds eye we recall the

sight of the once proud South Tower descending to the earth. Most especially we remember the

members of our Department, both Firefighters and EMS members, our brothers who entered

those buildings to assist and bring to safety those in need of our help. Father, these members of

our Department are with you. Help us to recognize that they are at peace.

May they rest in peace. Amen

(To be read at the end of the fourth minute of silence – 1029 hours)

Heavenly Father of us all, we stand here in your presence and with our minds eye we recall the

sight of the once proud North Tower descending to the earth. In the traditions of this

Department, our Firefighters and EMS members did not hesitate to do your work, the work of

saving the lives of the people of this city. Many died in the attack that day. Lord, give us the

strength we need to live the values that they exhibited that day, the values of generosity,

compassion and commitment. Lord, help us to recognize that as their reward you have taken

them to yourself where nothing can ever again harm them.

May they rest in peace. Amen

BY ORDER OF THE CHIEF OF EMS COMMAND

I've always said that in 1941 it was said that Japan woke a sleeping giant.

I have reason to believe you are quoting Admiral Yamamoto, commander of the Japanese attack fleet, after finding out that none of the targeted U S Navy Aircraft Carriers were at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

• 3 weeks later...
Those lives were wasted. We learned nothing from them. The Democrats spit on their graves.

Yeah, as someone who personally witnessed the attacks and ran from the collapse of the towers and whose family has many active service members, I can't help but think, once again, great job Dust, you hit the nail on the head. Your astute historical, social, and political analysis is like drinking from an bottomless cup of wisdom. Thank you so much for graciously providing another example of your towering intellect to all of us feeble-minded morons. I'll go burn my library card and keep reminding myself that the world is as black-and-white as some random dude on a messageboard seems to think it is.

I have reason to believe you are quoting Admiral Yamamoto, commander of the Japanese attack fleet, after finding out that none of the targeted U S Navy Aircraft Carriers were at Pearl Harbor during the attack.

Yes, it was Yamamoto. He was quite the naval officer himself. In later memoirs he said he became concerned when the mission "went too well" and that how much more wide spread the path of destruction was. Other than not having any carriers tied up, they couldn't have done much better. But he did call off a third attack that was scheduled. He knew that they had done all they could do, any more damage (other than the carriers) would just be over-kill. He knew that there was no longer any more of the element of surprise and knew he would have lost more of his own aircraft.

For 9-11 they had three of their four parts of their plan that were a success. If it wasn't for the information "grid" on Flight 93, (how and when some passengers were receiving the news of what else was going on), they knew they were part of a larger scheme that was being unfolded at that time. You know they put '2 + 2' together and knew they had to do something. There were probably several plans conceived quickly. But each one knew they were going to have to do it by force, basically overwhelming and over running them, Most probably knew some would die trying. And I think it's safe to say they knew they were going to crash. They just didn't want it to make it to their designation.

But in the back of my mind, there's been something that's been eating away at me for years. I wonder if there was a plan for one of the passengers to try to get into the cockpit and reach the controls. I seriously doubt that the place could be flown very far, but may have been able to gain enough control to not crash immediately. Perhaps even be talked down for a "controlled crash".

I know that may sound corny, but that's just something I've always wondered about.

I wonder if there was a plan for one of the passengers to try to get into the cockpit and reach the controls. I seriously doubt that the place could be flown very far, but may have been able to gain enough control to not crash immediately. Perhaps even be talked down for a "controlled crash".

I know that may sound corny, but that's just something I've always wondered about.

As I am aware there is a program for teaching passengers who want that knowledge (perhaps no longer available following 9-11-01), in case the pilot of a small aircraft conks out, the spouse, or regularly flying passenger can take over flying while in mid-flight, until someone can give those talking down instructions.

Obviously, they exist, or existed, for something the size of a Beechcraft "Bonanza", not a large commercial 2, 3, or 4 jet engine powered aircraft. Karen Black as a "Stewardess" flying a damaged 747 only exists in fictional movies like the second "Airport" movie (does any military even have a helo capable of the speed of a 747 to winch Charlton Heston down to the damaged aircraft? Even the Airwolf, piloted by Jan Michael Vincent, is only a work of fiction).

The "speed sequences" of the Airwolf flying were actually a 2 foot long remote control model of a Textron-Bell 222 Jet Helicopter, the same basic airframe used for the cinematic Airwolf.

I apologize for taking this so far off the original subject.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.