How hard is to get a job as an EMT-B in Chicago?

twilliams988

for the most part superior in chicago/IL is retarded. They have to wear a clip on tie even with a short sleeved shirt. They say it makes them look professional, but it really doesn't. No other ambo wears them in Chicago. Also Superior, aside from the River North station is entirely suburban people, and has quite a few whackers. For the most part they do BLS IFT's, even the ALS crews do a majority of BLS calls. There company policies are really strict and unneccesary. The one good thing they have is a good fleet of ambulances with GPS, however they paint them all different colors and makes their rigs look like clown cars.

Out of all the privates in Chicago area I'd have to say ATI is probably the best, but that isn't saying much!

Wow Good to see that people still make fun of Superior. Apparently a lot has changed if ATI is the "best" to work for. ATI, Trace, Vandenberg, MED EX, Med-Care, and Pulse are all owned by the same family or were when I left Chicago 2 1/2 years ago. Then you can't forget Bud's, Alverno, and Kurtz. All of which I personally would consider sub-par in terms of Scope of practice, patient care even on IFT's, and management. But then again that is why I left Chicago. So twilliams, have fun in the city, most of the privates have contracts with nursing home and SNFs where you will actually get to do some "emergency response." some of the privates, Trace and Buds I know for sure, also have 911 contracts for communities where you should be able to get some good experience. Good luck in what you decide and just make the most of it. Any other questions post em.

a few years back, prior to my medic days, I tried to apply to the chicago fire department and was immediately told you have to live in Chicago to get a job here. You have to be a resident prior to applying.

Then the applicant pool was about 1500 for each opening.

I can't say that is how it is now but that's what I remember. But my information is like more than 10 years old. I'm certain it has changed but not sure how much it has changed.

a few years back, prior to my medic days, I tried to apply to the chicago fire department and was immediately told you have to live in Chicago to get a job here. You have to be a resident prior to applying.

Then the applicant pool was about 1500 for each opening.

I can't say that is how it is now but that's what I remember. But my information is like more than 10 years old. I'm certain it has changed but not sure how much it has changed.

Ruff,

It is still that way to be an employee of the city of Chicago regardless of department, Fire, Police Schools, Waste Management etc. you have to live within the boundaries of the city of Chicago. They have gone as far as terminating people that live on the Evergreen Park side of Kedzie or the Oak Lawn side of Pulaski. Kinda weird that way

Twilliams,

You missed the Chicago fire test, so there won't be another one of those for like 12 and a half years. There are a few departments in the chicago burbs that are still BLS, Merrionette Park comes to mind and Garden Homes is another. But honestly your best bet to get a gig as just an EMT-B is with a private or as an er tech at one of the hospitals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I don't know to much about EMS employment in Chigcago but I do know that here in Ireland that the National Ambulance Service are looking for Paramedics and Advanced Paramedics. The Following websites can give you further information.

www.phecc.ie (governing body)

www.nats.ie ( training college)

www.irishambulance.net (just like this web site)

I just thought this information might be helpful if any one was considering moving across the pond. 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.