How hard is to get a job as an EMT-B in Chicago?

twilliams988

Well that really all depends there are enough privates in the area that will hire just about anything with an emt-b cert and a pulse. most fire departments and contract agencies will not hire without the paramedic, FF II or both. just check your yellowpages for the private EMS agencies and if that is what you wanna do have at it

• Like 1

Yeah, while I would not claim any first hand knowledge specific to Chicago, I can say that -- almost universally in the big cities -- finding an EMT-B job is no problem, so long as you have a pulse. But finding an actual EMS job is quite a different story. More than likely, all you're going to find is non-emergency taxi driver jobs. If you got into EMT school expecting to actually play "Third Watch", you probably have a couple more years of school ahead of you. Especially in a place with fire-based EMS, like Chicago. Of course, there's always the suburbs, but someone from the area will have to fill you in with that info. Good luck!

I live and work in Chicago; yes, it will be easy for you to get a job doing transfers all day long. I have worked for multiple private companies and can recommend some more than others. This is of course dependent on the part of the greater area that you live in, unless you want to wear a tie to work (Superior Ambulance). If you're looking for specifics, send me a pm.

unless you want to wear a tie to work (Superior Ambulance).

LOL!! I ran into some guys from Superior Ambulance a few months ago in an ER garage. My partner said something to the effect of, "Aren't you guys a little over dressed?" to which one replied, "Yes, we know, we feel like asses," smiled and walked away. At least they are taking it well! :D

Yeah, I suppose it was more common. Now it just makes people think Mormons have their own ambulance service.

I dunno if I agree with that. It may look funny to us in EMS, who have certain expectations of what is "normal" ambulance wear. But I don't think the general public sees it that way. Have you ever giggled at, or looked down on an airline pilot because he was wearing a tie? Did you have trouble figuring out what he was? What about cops? Many cops have to wear a tie during the cold months. Doesn't make them look any less cop-ish to me.

I agree with your point. I shouldn't have said people as it implies the general public, I meant other EMS crews. The statement was mostly tongue in cheek however there is some validity to it I think. In the areas where I work, we have some volunteer services who have no dress code whatsoever. I have seen EMT's wearing cut off shorts and "Big Johnson" T-shirts bring patients into the ER. Unfortunately, it no longer stands out. The fact that Superior staff has to wear ties does imply far more professionalism, it just really stands out.

Also, I was going to use the phrase, "like putting lipstick on a pig" in that post somewhere, but I'm not familiar enough with their quality of care. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.