Circumcisions

akflightmedic

Ok, I am looking for serious input here, save the jokes.

My question is why do we still do this? Why is it still encouraged by doctors and the general public?

When my son was born, I did not want him to be circumcised. I caved into his mom's desire to have him done. She stated she did not want him to be different looking than his daddy, friends and also commented that future romantic interests may not like it either.

WHY??

I wish I had stood stronger in my conviction then, but I relented as at the tme it did not seem a battle worth fighting. Over the years however, my feelings against this procedure have grown and now I regret not being more vocal when I had a chance.

What are your feelings about this? For or against? Why do we do it?

We are aghast when they perform clitorectomies in Africa, yet we perform genatalia altering/mutilation every single day in the thousands here in this country.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I am looking for serious input here, save the jokes.

My question is why do we still do this? Why is it still encouraged by doctors and the general public?

When my son was born, I did not want him to be circumcised. I caved into his mom's desire to have him done. She stated she did not want him to be different looking than his daddy, friends and also commented that future romantic interests may not like it either.

WHY??

I wish I had stood stronger in my conviction then, but I relented as at the tme it did not seem a battle worth fighting. Over the years however, my feelings against this procedure have grown and now I regret not being more vocal when I had a chance.

What are your feelings about this? For or against? Why do we do it?

We are aghast when they perform cliterectomies in Africa, yet we perform genatalia altering/mutilation every single day in the thousands here in this country.

I think we need to appreciate the difference between cutting off a woman's clitoris versus a male's foreskin.

Take care,

chbare.

I am against it as there is no reason for it.

It is not a matter of hygiene. It is not a matter of religion for the majority.

So why do we do it?

As for the difference between the clitorectomy and the removal of foreskin, I do appreciate the difference and the circumstances under which they are performed, I was merely trying to convey the point of genital alterations without one's informed consent.

You may be able to argue the hygiene angle and some literature points to the possibility of decreased incidence of cancer; however, the arguments are not all that strong IMHO. Obviously, paraphimosis and phimosis can be a concern when people do not properly manage their foreskins.

In addition, some may argue the social stigma. However, all I remember were a few ant eater jokes. So, again, a weak argument. The topic at hand is a hot one with people drawing lines in the sand so to speak. I just came from a really rough one in a nursing forum. Of course my persona is a bit more rough on that site, so I open my self up for more...debate. lol

Take care,

chbare.

Personally, I do not have kids. Had that problem fixed several years ago. So, in a way, it is not my problem. I can say, I do not feel like I have suffered any more or any less than my uncut counterparts.

Take care,

chbare.