When did u realize that EMS would not be ur lifelong career?

BEorP

(I apologize for the short forms in the subject but I wanted to fit in the entire question.)

I know that we have a number of active members who no longer work in EMS or at least not directly on the ambulance. For any who are in this position and willing to share, I'm wondering when you made this decision. How long had you been on the road when you knew 100% that you would not be doing it forever? Did you have one moment that made you realize this or was it just after multiple events?

Thank you in advance to all who share.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it was a combination of things

1. The weather was negatively affecting my performance too much.

Working in the desert southwest for the last 16 years, high temperatures were part and parcel of everyday activity. The summer of 2007 was especially rough due to the number of calls that forced us into extended durations in the heat. I just had to find something else to do.

2. Too many disagreements with medical direction over how patients should be managed.

Our protocols were very open and loosely written to allow us leeway when necessary. I was/am confident in my ability to make a decision, but our new medical director isn't. He felt that we should be calling for assistance more often, instead of doing what we know should be done. I just got tired of it.

3. After 16 years in the streets, enough was enough

An opportunity came up, and I jumped at it. It may not be the right decision, or even the best choice available, but it is what I'm going to do.

It was about 2 years full time when I knew that I would not be a career paramedic. I had entertained the idea of medical school since basic EMT, but hadn't come to any conclusion about when would be right. It was 4 am, I had just gotten off shift, and I was sitting in a diner having a late night breakfast, and I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity. I couldn't see becoming a medic supervisor like my supervisors at the time (though I respected their experience and knowledge), and it seemed that was the only career option in EMS (though now I know a little better). It just seemed to me like I would be 50 years old in a little supervisor's office, filling out employee paperwork, wondering what had happened to the years of my life. I wanted to do more, see more, and know more in medicine, and I wanted to make the tough decisions, not simply execute orders. Looking back, it was the right decision and I would do it all over again.

Is that what you were looking for?

'zilla

I personally will be a "Paramedic for Life"

I aspired to be a medic a long time ago when I seen my dad go out on the the firetruck for the first time, although he was a medic long before that. It's something you never forget.

The money isn't great, but the job I enjoy (most of the time).

I have no desire to move on.

I just obtain any avancement available such CCEMT-P, FP-C, AHMLS, and all the other alphabet soup available. Education is non stop to keep on top of the latest and greatest.

Take care all.

I came off the streets FT in Oct. 06. I was 27, and had been on the streets FT for 7 years. I am currently finishing my BS in Paramedicine (mostly cause I only have 15 credits left) from NAU, and do my prereqs for med school. It was something I've been entertaining for a while, and I figured that if I'm really goanna do it, now is the time. I know work FT for University Medical Center in Tucson. It's been a great experience as it's a "true" teaching hospital. With luck, I will be in med school within 2 years, and once I graduate residency and fellowship I want to come back as a medical director somewhere.

For me, it was a combination of things

1. The weather was negatively affecting my performance too much.

Working in the desert southwest for the last 16 years, high temperatures were part and parcel of everyday activity. The summer of 2007 was especially rough due to the number of calls that forced us into extended durations in the heat. I just had to find something else to do.

2. Too many disagreements with medical direction over how patients should be managed.

Our protocols were very open and loosely written to allow us leeway when necessary. I was/am confident in my ability to make a decision, but our new medical director isn't. He felt that we should be calling for assistance more often, instead of doing what we know should be done. I just got tired of it.

3. After 16 years in the streets, enough was enough

An opportunity came up, and I jumped at it. It may not be the right decision, or even the best choice available, but it is what I'm going to do.

That must be exciting to be taking the big step to medical school now. Thanks for the contribution. Which school are you going to?

It was about 2 years full time when I knew that I would not be a career paramedic. I had entertained the idea of medical school since basic EMT, but hadn't come to any conclusion about when would be right. It was 4 am, I had just gotten off shift, and I was sitting in a diner having a late night breakfast, and I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity. I couldn't see becoming a medic supervisor like my supervisors at the time (though I respected their experience and knowledge), and it seemed that was the only career option in EMS (though now I know a little better). It just seemed to me like I would be 50 years old in a little supervisor's office, filling out employee paperwork, wondering what had happened to the years of my life. I wanted to do more, see more, and know more in medicine, and I wanted to make the tough decisions, not simply execute orders. Looking back, it was the right decision and I would do it all over again.

Is that what you were looking for?

'zilla

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the input.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.