paralyzed

zzyzx

Here's a call I ran a while back...

You respond to a "generalized weakness." Your patient is a 20 y/o male who says, "I felt fine last night, but when I woke up this morning, my legs were paralyzed." He has has no loss of function to his upper body, but his legs are too weak for him to stand up. He was unable to get out of bed, and his parents called 911.

All his vital signs are within normal limits. He says he does not have any medical conditions and doesn't take any medications.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about numbness or tingling?

Has the pt been noticing any other symptoms lately? Joint pain, dizziness, back pain.....

What position did he sleep in?

Distal pulses present and equal?

Skin condition of legs compared to other parts of the body?

Assess for strength

What's the Pt's temperature?

OK my Dd thinking right now... Tumor (spine or brain), MS (not likely), infection, loss of circulation.

SAMPLE, OLDCARTE, family hx, social hx of last couple of days, moniter, IV, blood drawls (if hospital will accept them), PMS check... large bolus of deseil....

First thought: Meningitis. Differ Dx: unknown at this time

To answer your questions...

He doesn't have any numbness or tingling. He does have some aching pain in his legs. Positive pulse, motor, sensation, but he is very weak in his legs.

No back pain.

Recent viral illness? He says he felt like he had the flu a few days ago, but now feels fine. Does not appear to be febrile.

No difference in skin signs between upper and lower body.

He was sleeping on his side.

Family/social Hx? He's a 20 y/o Asian male. He lives with his parents, who are non-English speaking Vietnamese. The family is poor.

Your partner suggests that maybe the patient is faking his symptoms. The patient does not seem to be in any distress and is answering your questions quite calmly. He doesn't complain of any other symptoms besides what he's already told you.