Ambulance stolen!!!

Laura Anne

I was on another call when another crew returned to the station late one night. They caught some drunk idiot trying to maneuver an ambulance from around others. It was an older one so it didn't have a battery switch. Evidently he tried the others but not knowing about the battery switch he couldn't get them started. He took out a water spigot and almost one of the center posts. Had water flying everywhere. I guess the police knew him very well.

I bet the crew left it running with the keys in the ignition which would explain why it was stolen so easily. :roll:

If that's the case, fire the crew for being lazy. There's no excuse for that. Especially given the security threats that currently exist with regards to stolen emergency vehicles and their potential to be used for nefarious activities.

Seems they did find the ambulance later that afternoon.

-be safe (and don't be lazy!)

We had a similar situation at a former department of mine - however ours was stolen by a former disgruntled employee who had a copy of station key made for personal use which none of us were aware of. Only one crew on at night, so was easy for them to get access to the keys which were right by the door. Stupid thing was, they stole it, then drove it and parked within a block of their house. We all had a good laugh over it, at least no harm was done to it, but needless to say now there is a pass key on the door. All well. Anyone brazen enough to pull a stunt like that, well, has more guts than most people I know. Good times, be safe.

Oh, and one note on FDNY trucks - how'd they not lock themselves in or out? When we first got our FDNY reject trucks, I locked myself out too frequently and spent alot of time crawling through that dang little window or praying for someone for HQ to send me a key ! LOL, now THAT was a site !

Have not seen or read the story it's based on, but then, there was the bombing of the Marines Barracks in Lebanon, actually did that.

Go to the movie "A Clear And Present Danger". The nuke that nearly killed the president, and tore up the city was in a cigarette dispenser machine, but could just as easily have been in a stolen ambulance.

The movie you are thinking of is actually "The Sum of All Fears" not "A Clear And Present Danger". It has the same main character in it, Jack Ryan, played by both Harrison Ford "A Clear And Present Danger" and " Patriot Games" and then Ben Affleck in "The Sum of All Fears".

So.... the truck was found and returned to the squad.

Yep, they left it running, as we all do, in the loading/unloading dock of the ER. Needless to say, we now all have to shut off our trucks and lock them up. :roll: :roll:

One thing I did hear was that the truck suffered a few scrapes and dings, but the only equipment stolen was the auto vent and something else really odd.....I think it was the portable suction unit! :lol::lol:

They got lucky I guess.....

We always lock up our rigs.....BUT one of the auto locks on the side door does not work, some people remember to manually lock it, some people don't.

Anyway... Stopped for snacks and a gentleman thought he would help himself to our traction splint. Funny part is that it was under the 2nd cot?

Some people are stupid!

So.... the truck was found and returned to the squad.

Yep, they left it running, as we all do, in the loading/unloading dock of the ER. Needless to say, we now all have to shut off our trucks and lock them up. :roll: :roll:

One thing I did hear was that the truck suffered a few scrapes and dings, but the only equipment stolen was the auto vent and something else really odd.....I think it was the portable suction unit! :lol::lol:

They got lucky I guess.....

Speaking of odd things being stolen, we had a crew make a transfer to Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. When they were taking the patient in they disconnected him from the LifePak 5 since they really didn't need it. When they came back out it was gone. Stolen right out of the ambulance bay. A few months later a lady called 911 with chest pain. When the St. Louis Medics got there they had their LP 5. She looked at it and said that she had one of those in her closet. And sure enough, there it was. She said it was her grandson's. Can you say busted?The police just sort of hung around for about an hour when he came home. There was no damage but of course the batteries were dead. But just think what could have happened if he had somehow charged the paddles and tried it on someone.