scary scary

this was taken from a news article on the first page of the website.

Quote from the story

"Prior to getting his driver’s license, Cottle rode his bicycle to calls, and he said sometimes he would make it to the location before the ambulance. "

Just where is the ambulance responding from that a kid on a bike can make it to the call before they get there? Plus what was the patient's response when they saw a 16 year old respond to their house or a wreck on the highway via bike????

http://www.citizensvoice.com/articles/2008...843166_fea1.txt

Me thinks the ems agency needs a couple more ambulances to be available for calls.

Swoyersville, in PA's Wyoming Valley, is like a little suburb, rather than a city. It probably means to homes around the town.

I used to do the same thing.. We don't have highways here. We have the "main road".. and dirt roads. But I went to the firehouse, as that's down hill, and all the homes are up hill. :lol:

true true but to see a kid arrive on his bike to take care of me would be disoncerting at best.

It reminds me of the line from 40 year old virgin, "I hope you have a big trunk, cause I'm putting my bike in it"

the ems version, I hope you have a big outside compartment on the ambulance because I'm putting my bike in it.

I can just see it now, an ambulance with a bike rack on the front.

true true but to see a kid arrive on his bike to take care of me would be disoncerting at best.

It reminds me of the line from 40 year old virgin, "I hope you have a big trunk, cause I'm putting my bike in it"

the ems version, I hope you have a big outside compartment on the ambulance because I'm putting my bike in it.

I can just see it now, an ambulance with a bike rack on the front.

Why not? It works for other types of city buses... :lol:

I started working or volunteering in EMS when I was 19, in 1973. I didn't get a car until 1980, so I used to ride my bicycle the mile and a half from home to the station! If I responded by bicycle directly to the scene, it was only as unrequested backup to the assigned ambulance!

I think you're kind of over reacting to a small town "aww isn't that cute", fluffed up for the front page, story. The state allows full certification, at that age. If you have teenagers that have it in them to do it, well, that's not always a bad thing. I dunno, maybe it's just because I've had a really bad day, but I'm not seeing the evil in the story.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS S**T? Ruff, you said they need more ambulances, I think they need an entire overhaul starting with the Admin who hired a 16yo. Is it really any wonder when you read stuff like this that the public has no respect for us as a profession? I understand riding a bike the mile and a half to the station to pick up a truck, but any one responding to a call on a bicycle direct, and especially when there is question if they have hit puberty yet, is scary for sure. I have heard of some stupid crap in my career, but holy s**t!!!!!

With the above stated, this does not include those who are "bike patrol" during major special event. I'm solely talking about some prepubescent responding to a 9-1-1 call.

rant, rant, rant, rant..........................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.