AED Protocol

*Lifeguard*

i completely trust the AED and how it picks up rhythms...there computer's and there smarter than us..lol

Just remember, every computer has the collective knowledge of man. I know, sounds Star Trekkie, but you can not remove the human element. It goes waaayyy back to BASIC computer language of "If/Then" command. "IF you have this, THEN do this". I know BASIC is unheard of now days, but it was one of the building blocks for modern computer tech.

I am so glad and relieved that the AED computers are so much more improved. If one is available, I'll use one, but not until I personally know what the circumstances are. But that's just me.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure they have stats out there for how accurate/inaccurate the AED is . . .

I suppose it depends on how narrow or wide of an algorithm the programmers gave it.

It cannot have collective knowledge, because we are unable to transfer that to a computer...but we can input our best algorithm.

I'm sure they have stats out there for how accurate/inaccurate the AED is . . .

I suppose it depends on how narrow or wide of an algorithm the programmers gave it.

It cannot have collective knowledge, because we are unable to transfer that to a computer...but we can input our best algorithm.

That's basically what I was trying to say, Anthony. Thanks for clarifying that for me. :D

Just remember, every computer has the collective knowledge of man. I know, sounds Star Trekkie, but you can not remove the human element. It goes waaayyy back to BASIC computer language of "If/Then" command. "IF you have this, THEN do this". I know BASIC is unheard of now days, but it was one of the building blocks for modern computer tech. I am so glad and relieved that the AED computers are so much more improved. If one is available, I'll use one, but not until I personally know what the circumstances are. But that's just me.

Computers have a new tech called "Fuzzy Logic". I don't know exactly how it works but, it's not so definate like you stated. I found this Googleing:

ECG RHYTHM ADVISORY METHOD

These examples include simple combining rales or math, and expert systems utilizing fuzzy or standard logic, hi the example of expert systems utilizing standard logic, a programmer manually generates logical rules without uncertainty, the rules specifying preconditions such as "if measure A recommends defibrillation" and "if measure B recommends defibrillation", and if these preconditions are met, the AED 10 automatically defibrillates the patient. In the example of expert systems utilizing fuzzy logic, the rules are more "fuzzy" and the states to be combined incorporate some degree of uncertainty based on human language. For instance, the fuzzy logic rules can incorporate such input as "measure A detects a strong need for defibrillation" versus "measure A detects a weak need for defibrillation". The fuzzy logic framework combines the different measures and outputs results such as "strong need for defibrillation" or "weak need for defibrillation".

Here's the whole artical that can clairifiy it:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=WO2...mp;DISPLAY=DESC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.