My first save

911lady

congrats on your save, and welcome to the city.

couple of things to help you out. First off, when it comes to the emtcity, you'll find that the majority of people on here are very analytical, inquisitive, and intelligent. Explain yourself well, or you will be called out. (take this from someone who has been there...several times)

Second, when posting, try to break up your post into paragraphs, it helps the rest of us blind folk read it better.

Third, when it comes to EMS and code saves, savor this moment, it doesn't happen often. In fact, I would venture to say that it would be sometime before you save one again, but much like the other folks replying to your post, I offer the same advice. Don't give up, continue to fight on and become a better provider. Enjoy yourself in the field, think on your feet with your head, and get a thick skin, especially if you plan on showing up around here often.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you sevenball, for your input. I have learned my lesson well. I guess, I was just caught off-guard by the replies. Thats okay, I got my snap back. I may fall on my knees, but I always get back up and brush them off, and hold my head high, and proceed on.

congrats on your save, and welcome to the city.

couple of things to help you out. First off, when it comes to the emtcity, you'll find that the majority of people on here are very analytical, inquisitive, and intelligent. Explain yourself well, or you will be called out. (take this from someone who has been there...several times)

Second, when posting, try to break up your post into paragraphs, it helps the rest of us blind folk read it better.

Third, when it comes to EMS and code saves, savor this moment, it doesn't happen often. In fact, I would venture to say that it would be sometime before you save one again, but much like the other folks replying to your post, I offer the same advice. Don't give up, continue to fight on and become a better provider. Enjoy yourself in the field, think on your feet with your head, and get a thick skin, especially if you plan on showing up around here often.

Hi everyone,

I don't want to comment on the treatment offered to this child, I think it was perfectly adequate under the circumstances. I do, however, take issue with the comment from one of the respondents about NOT taking the parents.

I have written a dissertation on this subject for my RN. All the evidence points to involving the parents in the child's care, however critical the situation. Just remember, when a child is that sick then they need a familiar, comforting face around.

It's often assumed that that the parents will be a hinderance in such circumstances, but this is rarely the case. I think it has more to do with the perceived close scrutiny that we feel we would be under. We need to set this aside and act in the interest of our patient and it's parents.

I, personally, would not even let it happen as a parent. I would insist on travelling with one of my children, whatever the circumstances.

WM

I normally allow the parents to ride in the back with any child. When it comes to working a pedi code, then it is NO.

There are usually 2-3 people in the back already and I don't need another one in the way. Plus, some parents can handle the situation fine, but some will freak out. I don't need to have to worry about the mother freaking out, when I am trying to work the child.

If they are being worked on scene, then I will allow the parents there. It does help them to see that we are doing all we can for the child. On scene, I can have LEO help calm the parent down. In the truck, it would take away someone that is helping the child.

Any good parent will realize that we need to do our job and step aside and let us do it.

Good work! In my home town the nearest ALS is close to 45 mins away by ground and the entire county transports to a 'band aid stand' of an ER. Any time there is a critical pt. I am very concerned for thier life. The current EMS Director & I are trying to get the community & county behind a hospital based medic service. This is a major issue nation wide, resources just aren't always readily available to communites of smaller size.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.