NREMT-P to ACP (Canada)?

I know we've discussed this a few times, I believe I even may have asked this before, but after much researching and much printing out and phone calls, I was wondering if anyone on here can give me a simple direct answer about provinces in Canada (in particular British Columbia) using National Registry Paramedic as a basis for PCP or ACP certification. Can anyone on here just give me a simple yes or no answer? And if yes, where is the best place to start?

I can answer for Alberta

NR means nothing to Alberta college of paramedics (our governing body)

Licencing is determined on a individual basis. You can expect a one on one interview, written exam, and scenario. There is no yes/no answer on out of country licencing, only a "maybe - depends on how well you are educated."

Saskatchewan however will probably make you take the ACP bridge program (I believe it is an on-line course + 3 days in class) then throw a licence at you.

In canada all licences are based on National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP) of the ACP and PCP.

So unless the certificate you hold has one of those titles on it this will not be an easy, or cheap transition. It will not be impossible though.

I believe it still stands that AB is the highest paying provinces in EMS right now, my Paramedic friend just got a raise to $34/hr working for a rural service. That is the higher end of the pay-scale, but you get the idea. Sask also pays well, but low call volumes in most services (heck you will never see the call volumes, that you have now, in canada!)

Start with the Alberta College of Paramedics website, click on "Provincial Exam". Read over the "Agreement on international trade"

Then call Karen Reed (At the college) and have a chat with her about your situation.

Yes I realize neither of these are BC.

I don't know whether NREMT-P will be accepted in BC you need to contact the EMA licensing board. I do know that Nova Scotia will give you direct ACP equivalency if you hold a current NREMT-P. My recommendation would be to obtain Nova Scotia registration (relatively easy) to get your foot in the door in Canada so to speak. Once you are registered in one province it is much much easier to transfer interprovincially. I make 36.72 as a 4 year ACP with a 16.67% shift adjustment due to the shift pattern I work.

I don't know whether NREMT-P will be accepted in BC you need to contact the EMA licensing board. I do know that Nova Scotia will give you direct ACP equivalency if you hold a current NREMT-P. My recommendation would be to obtain Nova Scotia registration (relatively easy) to get your foot in the door in Canada so to speak. Once you are registered in one province it is much much easier to transfer interprovincially. I make 36.72 as a 4 year ACP with a 16.67% shift adjustment due to the shift pattern I work.

:shock:

Is this typical wage or just a product of where you work? If its typical I may consider moving there when I'm done my ACP next month.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.