CCEMT-P just what does it stand for

so my original question I don't think was truly answered

Is it right or legal to put after your name on your name badge or ID or sign your report

Joe Blow CCEMT-P

If CCEMT-P is not a recognized licensure level in your state?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so my original question I don't think was truly answered

Is it right or legal to put after your name on your name badge or ID or sign your report

Joe Blow CCEMT-P

If CCEMT-P is not a recognized licensure level in your state?

But when leaders in our profession such as Bob Page do it, what else would we expect of those in the field?

Is it right: I think still open to interpretation. Is it legal: I don't see anything illegal about it as long as you can back it up with some sort of formal training or evaluation eg. testing.

I can not think of anything illegal; unless you jurisdiction specifically does not allow it.

Hmm, cannot say I have a problem putting credentials after your name. It seems that in EMS, having a new credential should entitle you to new skills while many other providers see this as simply a way of obtaining additional knowledge and experience. If this attitude was not as common, this thread would not exist.

For example, I just helped teach an ACLS class for several people who had never taken it before. Upon completion, the nurses were asking us about the best ECG and airway books so they could self study and learn more. A few EMT-B's wanted to approach their medical director about adding intubation and defibrillation because they now knew how to perform these skills.

Take care,

chbare.

For example, I just helped teach an ACLS class for several people who had never taken it before. Upon completion, the nurses were asking us about the best ECG and airway books so they could self study and learn more. A few EMT-B's wanted to approach their medical director about adding intubation and defibrillation because they now knew how to perform these skills.

Take care,

chbare.

Intubation and defibrillation from an ACLS class?

The one point that has always been stressed in ACLS is that it does not "certify" someone to do these skills nor does it provide enough information in the time allowed to adequately teach intubation or defibrillation. Again, skills without the appropriate education is not the way to advance this profession.

Usually, with our titles and job descriptions there are expected certs for extra knowledge that must be maintained. A nurse or RRT who puts one of the specialty credentials behind their name has the expected experience and must now maintain a certain set of experience and continuing education (100 hours for some) as well as recredentialing to stay current. There is a difference between an ACLS class and one of the CCRN certifications.

I stand by my statement. I took both CEN and CFRN. Neither certification changed my responsibilities as a nurse in the ER or in the transport environment. Just like taking ACLS, my responsibilities as a provider do not change. This is my point. However, I find other people think they are entitled to have intubation privileges after watching somebody do it at an ACLS class.

Take care,

chbare.

I stand by my statement. I took both CEN and CFRN. Neither certification changed my responsibilities as a nurse in the ER or in the transport environment. Just like taking ACLS, my responsibilities as a provider do not change. This is my point. However, I find other people think they are entitled to have intubation privileges after watching somebody do it at an ACLS class.

Take care,

chbare.

I understand what you are describing, but as well it may change your or increase your scope of practice. For example many states will not allow RN's to intubate, adminster RSI, deep sedation, EJ's; unless they have been through or demonstrated knowledge in that speciality. I know that it is a touchy subject in my state, and the state likes to see credentials such as CFRN, CCRN, CEN, CTRN, demonstrating that the have met the professional minimal standards. No, not a license rather a demonstration upon the individual has taken upon themselves to excel and focus in an area of expertise.

R/r 911

Still, why do most nurses you know take CEN, CFRN, CCEMTP and the like? Most I know of do this to improve themselves, to show that they have obtained a base or core level of knowlede in their specialty, however, I do not see them doing this so they can be entitled to more skills. Too many of us, these credentials are simply part of professional development and not an excuse to do cool skillz. That is the difference I am trying to emphasize. I do think we are on the same page however.

Take care,

chbare.

Bob is an amazing instructor for sure, and I recommend that everyone sit in on one of his lectures, if not every one you can get to.

Agreed. He is a very dynamic instructor.

This may be the third time I have said it here, but if you are able to attend one or more of his seminars, I would highly recommend them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.