New Medic Tips

zebra_emt

So I just passed both portions of the NREMT, thus making me a brand new NREMT-Paramedic.

I did well in class and precepting in the field, with never a negative mark. Of course now I am slightly nervous about being on my own.

So could any veteran medics, with some time to spare, mind jotting down a few tips for the new medic.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats. the hard part is over.. now to forget everything the book taught you and remember that each pt. is going to present a different challenge.. i know a lot of medics who will use the cook book methods.. not that it is a bad way to give tx but more times than not you must think outside the box.. with all the new toys you will be using, ie cpap, rsi , quick trach, ez io to name a few .. the feild is wide open.. the thing that i find the easiest is to take one thing from each run and to put something you learned, weather it be a s/s. or tx or a new trick learned and to put it into you mental tool box. and never ever be afraid to ask for help. we all started the same place you did.. good luck.

I did well in class and precepting in the field, with never a negative mark.

Very impressive and also a shame. I do not see how a student could make it through without a negative mark. Every one of my stellar students received something negative at one time or another.

Anyways, congrats on your new title. Keep an open mind, never stop learning/studying, and avoid complacency and the "know it all" attitude and you will do just fine.

Maximize the minimums.

By that I mean, try to do as much as you can without using all of the toys that you now have. Use your intrinsic senses to figure out what is going on, then add the information that you receive from the technology. Make your most trusted tool(s) your eyes, ears, and hands.

Zebra,

How did you like taking the test on line? All my other classes were the paper and wait forever method of testing. I am not crazy about these things in the first place. I am getting ready to take it in about 6 weeks, just finishing up our medic class here. I have heard a few people say they like the new computer testing. Not that I am looking for answers to questions or quoted questions either, but was there any part of the test that was hit on more than you anticipated? Just curios to see how it is out there in the testing world.

i also just passed both portions of the nremt-p test and am now working as a brand spankin new medic.. toutdoor to answer your question.. i noticed a lot of respiratory and metabolic alkalosis and acidosis as well as a lot of abdominal stuff, ie diverticulitus, gastrointeritus sp?? .. hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!!!! the test is NOT easy

Congrats to you all. Relax, listen, learn, pay attention to every detail. Don't be in a hurry to try all your new skills at once, unless it's called for. You'll know when.

Zebra, you don't sound like a know it all. Taking the test is one thing, the field is another. Known a lot of "acers" that were useless in the field, but I know you'll do great.

Oh, and have fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.