Seeking Employment, NEED ADVICE!!

Christopher.Collins

So Ive decided to give up my piddly Security "EMS" job and move back into real EMS, even if it means a pay cut. Im not happy unless Im in back of the ambulance.

I face a slight dilema now. As of recent I was discharged from the US Army / CT Army National Guard for physical/medical purposes. My physician has cleared me to do whatever I want with my life and sees no immediate threat to my health. The Army however decided to play it safe and their doctors declined me from further duty.

If I put down military service on an application itll look good, but come time to explain it theres that cute little red flag issue. So what should I do? I know Im protected by HIPAA, and I know that I am in no immediate danger to myself or anyone to continue working in a high stress environament. But how do I explain (if at all) my discharge if asked?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Id preffer not to leave this out of my resume, but I suppose if it is for the greater good I may have to.

By the way, if it helps any I was discharged for cardiac related issues... its genetic and propper dieting and exercise will not nessecarilly make it go away.

Honesty is best policy. On resume were you honorably discharged? If so just list that. As to interview if they ask about why you got out early explain you were medically removed but that you have since been cleared to work with no restrictions. While I say honesty is best policy it is honesty to the question asked. Do not lie but do not divulge more than what is required to answer. For example, they ask do you have any health problems that restrict your work? Honest answer is just NO, no need to explain discharge and now doctor cleared. If Doctor has cleared you you have no restrictions.

Why would there be a red flag? A medical discharge is an honorable discharge. I'd list your military experience including whatever positions you served in there, and that you were honorably discharged on XX/XX/200X. If they inquire why, tell them it was a discharge based on a medical technicality, and that you'd be happy to provide a copy of your civilian doc's physical stating that you are fit for your job duties.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA, Is one of the most misunderstood laws in the country if not the world. First of all HIPPA was designed to prevent Health Insurance Comapnies from sharing personal identifying information with other sources. It has nothing to do with perspective employers.

Most Federal, State, and Local agencies are entitled to past medical histories to determine suitability for employment. Now that being said yopu may be protected under the Americans with Disabilities act, but i really do not think HIPPA will help you.....

Having said that, I think there is NO reason to not disclose that, unless, you were discharged for a Psych reason and you feel that you will barred from employement.

Remember with certain jobs, failure to disclose now, could be grounds for dismissal later....

I would disclose it, and let the chips fall where they may...

Good luck Stay safe .....

HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA, Is one of the most misunderstood laws in the country...

Obviously it is... lol because most people call it HIPPA when its HIPAA.. Health Insurance Portable Accountability Act of 1996

Sorry brother Im just being a smart @$$, no hard feelings. Thank you though for the info I didnt know that.

Thank you all for that matter.