New Medic, Looking to Explore.. Suggestions?

cdcmj

Hi all, I have been lurking here for a little while and this is my first real post.

Background: I am about to turn 22 yo. I was a volunteer FF/EMT since I was 16 and in High school (bethesda, MD). I came to Univ. of Pittsburgh with the idea of pre-med (dads a doc, moms a nurse). Long story short, I found myself in the school's Emergency Medicine BS program. I am going in to my last year of undergrad and this program and am starting to formulate a plan post-college.

I am now a NREMT-P working at a city third service (911 only) south of Pittbsurgh and I really do enjoy it there. Diverse people, quality calls, in my opinion just the right amount of 'action', and not to mention two adult level I trauma centers, and one level I PEDS trauma center all within 15 min. of my primary service area. All experiences that I am sure will be of great benefit to me later on in life. Anyways..

I am at a crossroad. I am trying to figure out if I want to stay in school, or hit the work force running, or a combination of the two. And what do I want to study if I stay in school and for what ultimate goal. All things in mind, I also would need to decide if I want to stay in Pittsburgh..

What I am here to ask you all is suggestions, advice, and comments with regard to a person in my situation that is open to really anything at this point. I am looking to explore the states. I have looked and lurked online at services in Florida, Texas, Arizona, NY, etc.. I am looking for a third service type of place that is preferably a county wide system. I want a place that is nice in weather, haa, hence why I have looked places in the Keys, Pinellas county, etc. I am willing to budge on the area, but these type of places entice me.

I am not willing to budge on this issue. Regardless of the setup, I want a respectable, 911 contract place that does 90% or more 911 response. My own personal philosophy is that I did not get this education to do mindless transports and I know that I don't have a passion for IFT's Or non-emergent type calls. I am also leaning away from a fire-based EMS. I worked in one as a volly in MD and it was just ok...Also, I dont want the commitement of a fire academy and I am not sure if I want to be a paid fireman. So...In short I am looking for a large coverage area with a good sized population, that would be considered mid-size, ie I am weary and leaning away from burn out heaven places such as NYFD, LA, Miami, etc.

One of the things that I like about my current service in Pittsburgh is the fact that we do no BS transports and have just the right amount of quality calls in a shift that you don't get burnt out and don't get bored, all awhile seeing a whole gamet of things.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions, and I am glad that I finally posted on here and look forward to other Medic's who I am sure have travelled the states and have wise opinions of certain services, cities, counties, states, regions, etc. Thanks!

Edit: PS, I forgot to mention that the place needs to be friendly to a most likely single-no string attached-young male. Also, any suggestions to the area's I mentioned in FL, Arizona, Texas etc would also be welcome.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West Texas has some wide open spaces, county run, and better pay than most in Texas. My full Time is county about 4000 square miles, $18 starting for paramedics. Mainly 911. Hot dusty and dry desert but near the mountains.

Ok, well, Floridians--take a look at my post, do you all know of services that fit my desire's. I have looked in to lee county, miami-dade, monroe, and Pinellas sun star ambulance?? Comments, suggestions, advice, experiences is what Im looking for.

Lake-Sumter EMS

Has a large call volume, offers urban mixed with rural, advanced/agressive protocols, and a great starting salary for single role medics. They have about the best pay you will find for single role position.

This system came to be when the two counties (Lake and Sumter) decided to pool their resources and have a system that covers both counties. They have decent benefits and retirement plans.

It will be very difficult for you to find an emergency position on an anmbulance with out also being a firefighter in Florida.

You will have to go north to find 3rd service country run systems.

The only other two options i know of that are south Florida is Lee County and Sunstar(Pinellas County).

I have heard great things about Lee County and y ou will run your ass off!

Paging Niftymedic for info on Lee....also try to search as he has posted some very indepth descriptions in regards to Lee. I will look later tonight and see if I can find his posts.

As for Sunstar, I have not heard wonderful things about them. I have no firsthand knwoledge or experience with them, I only go on what I hear. To the best of my knowledge, they are very busy system, but their medicine is extremely "mother may I" and very limited/restrictive.

Lake-Sumter EMS

Has a large call volume, offers urban mixed with rural, advanced/agressive protocols, and a great starting salary for single role medics. They have about the best pay you will find for single role position.

This system came to be when the two counties (Lake and Sumter) decided to pool their resources and have a system that covers both counties. They have decent benefits and retirement plans.

It will be very difficult for you to find an emergency position on an anmbulance with out also being a firefighter in Florida.

You will have to go north to find 3rd service country run systems.

The only other two options i know of that are south Florida is Lee County and Sunstar(Pinellas County).

I have heard great things about Lee County and y ou will run your ass off!

Paging Niftymedic for info on Lee....also try to search as he has posted some very indepth descriptions in regards to Lee. I will look later tonight and see if I can find his posts.

As for Sunstar, I have not heard wonderful things about them. I have no firsthand knwoledge or experience with them, I only go on what I hear. To the best of my knowledge, they are very busy system, but their medicine is extremely "mother may I" and very limited/restrictive.

AK I can't believe you didn't plug your newest venture over in Iraq.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.