ABLS

I took Advanced Burn Life Support today, offered by UNC Burn Center. They came down here to where I'm at and offered it. It was absolutely horrible. Outside of fluid resuscitation, there was nothing of value to nurses, paramedics, or 3rd graders for that matter. The instructors read ver batim from the slides. Now of course, like the typical ancillary courses, one should know the material prior to taking the course, and of course I did, but I was hoping for some stability with "the rule of nines" or the " Burn Consensus Formula" as they call it. They contradicting eachother constantly on fluid resuscitation, and the material was as basic as could be. Just was wondering if anyone else who has taken this course has had the same experience?!?!?!

medicv83, where are you?

Where did you take the course?

What level provider are you?

I did a clinical rotation at the UNC Burn Center and picked up quite a bit. They are high caliber up there. I am surprised to hear that you had a bad experience with their ABLS course. They are a teaching hospital also, which surprises me they did not have a good program.

Im a paramedic down in fayetteville. They came down yesterday and taught it. The quality and content of the material was just poor. Very rudementary and disorganized. Every instructor except one, this tall black guy, been burn nursing for 28 yrs. He seemed like he was squared away, but he also seemed held back by the content that he was teaching. A burn surgeon, who also taught seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about. I was astonished. This other nurse, really really really pretty, didnt know the first thing about a burn it seemed. It was amazing. Everyone there, the 30 of us or so all commented on how poor the quality of instruction and the material was. We all had high hopes of really learning new things and we would have been better off reading a magazine article written by a boy scout about burn care.

I had an in-service on burn patients out of Barnes/Jewish in St.Louis. It was outstanding. Even though it was an in-service, I think it turned out to be an actual ABLS class, before they had ABLS classes. There were about five of us that went from there and did some other training, sort of freelance. I loved it.

Medicv83, I'd say they probably knew their stuff, just didn't know how to teach it. If you're interested look for another class or even see about doing some clinicals through them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.