I.V. Setups - Help

I'm up for an interview for a disaster response team with my company. This includes instructing the interviewers on a piece of equipment: Teach proper use, storage, and care. I will be evaluated on my ability to communicate, thoroughness of the "drill", and knowledge of my assigned item.

I was assigned "I.V. Setup". It's mainly from the perspective of an EMT doing an ALS-assist skill, I believe, but I want to learn as much as I can about them. My EMT text is limited, so I will be trying to look through paramedic books. Maybe a phlebotomy one if I can get ahold of one, short notice.

Any links or discussions on this?

I'm familiar with a Maxi drip and Mini drop, the only two our medics carry. I'm familiar with TKO (Or KVO) rate at 2-3 drops per second and wide open. I've connected many (always handed to me, so never had to pick sizes out for the situation), know the tips need to be kept sterile, announce good flow/drop, no flow. Know how to shut it down if infiltrated and dispose of sharps/catheters. Elevating when backed up. Just really basic stuff....

What else could I get into? Or how can I present the basic stuff in a technical sounding way?

Any thoughts, pointers, or IV Setup info?

You should probably study up on the 3 different sets. 10 drop (gtts), 15 drop and 60 drop. Make sure you know how to set rates on them all. A 10 drop set is 10 drops/ml, a 15 drop set is 15 drops/ml, etc etc. It really is basic math once you get on to it.

Ill take you through my set up process.

Choose fluid and drop set. Most common will be NaCl and a 10 drop set. I don't use microsets.

Inspect outer bag for humidity (Inside), If I see any I discard it and grab a dry one.

Open the outer bag and the actual fluid filled bag for clarity, particulate matter and expiry date.

Hang the bag up and open the set, close off the flow control.

Remove the plug form the bag, and the cover off the "spike" (remember these 2 parts are sterile)

Insert the spike and open the flow valve, precharging the line.

Close off the valve and thats it.

Just remember the catheter end of the set is sterile too.

I've only recently discovered that there is more than the three types that mobey mentioned. Our local hospital is using pump specific tubing that is 20 gtt/mL.

For a disaster response team, focus on the 10 and 60 gtt tubing with a mention of the others and leave it at that. Maintaining sterility is near impossible, but needs discussed.

Mobey has given you a pretty good list for setup. I'm guessing that the intent of the excercise is to see how you will deal with non-medical personnel that are enlisted to assist with the disaster. With this in mind, I'd suggest limiting the amount of medical terminology that you use.

Good luck to you.

Good job Mobey!

If it's for a trauma response I seriously doubt they would mess with micro-drip, but you never know. One thing is, don't get in a big hurry and accidently miss something. If you think you might be a little slow while making sure you've got everything covered, practice to become faster but still be as accurate.

I really don't know but you may want to be able to describe Normal Saline (1/2 NS & 1/3 NS concentrations), Lactated Ringers, and D5W.

You'll do GREAT, Anthony!

Thanks for the help.

Even though this will be for disaster response, I think they want the skills presentation to be all-inclusive. Partially as a measure of how much work you're willing to put into it (for example, just getting the application was drawn-out process, purposely) and research your topic. The presentation is to our company's management (EMT's / Medics).

Did they give you anything more specific than "IV setup"? You may be able to go into the process of starting the IV and how to have things ready to hand the medic. Know when they'll want the tape... the catheter etc.

Good luck I'm sure they'll like you!