Department Honored In D.C.

firedoc5

This is the Dept. I was a voluteer at. I really miss those guys, and gals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JFPD honored on Capitol Hill for 60 years of service

By KANDACE MCCOY

kandace.mccoy@register-news.com

MT. VERNON —Jefferson Fire Protection District not only celebrated its 60th anniversary in May, but was recognized in Congress last week by Congressman John Shimkus (R, Illinois-19).

Shimkus entered a statement into permanent Congressional Record of the United States House of Representatives on July 10.

Jefferson Fire Protection District Chief Mike Huntman said the fire department was honored by the recognition. “I think it’s nice for Congressman Shimkus to announce on the floor that we are celebrating our 60th year,” Huntman said. “We don’t expect it, but when we receive a recognition like this, it’s extremely nice.”

“Madam Speaker, I rise today to mark the 60th anniversary of the Jefferson Fire Protection District in Southern Illinois,” Shimkus read to Congress. “From a humble beginning, with a 5 1/2-square-mile district and a tanker that was a converted Army truck from World War II, to today’s department with modern equipment covering 220 square miles, the Jefferson Fire Protection District has been keeping residents of Jefferson County, Illinois, safe for 60 years.

“It is because of dedicated citizens, willing to put themselves into harm’s way to help another in need, that our Nation is the great place that it is. Every time the department has responded to a house fire, an auto accident, a medical crisis or any of the myriad of other emergencies that they have been called upon to face, these brave public servants have reminded us of what it means to be a hero.

“I want to congratulate the members of the Jefferson Fire Protection District, past and present, on reaching this milestone. I also want to thank them for the vital public service they render to local residents.”

Huntman said the department has seen many changes since its incorporation in May 1948. “We’ve come quite a ways in 60 years — from one station to four stations,” he said, “and now our total area covered is 220 square miles with a little over 11,000 residents served.”

The JFPD has 19 pieces of equipment, which includes engine, tankers, grass trucks, rescue trucks, utility trucks and chief’s truck. The department has four paid employees —Huntman and three captains — as well as 40 volunteers.

Earlier this year, volunteer firefighter Darrell True retired from the district after 31 years of service. Lt. Ernie Collins is now the most experienced volunteer with the district, having served with Jefferson Fire since 1969.

First response is important to the members of Jefferson Fire Protection District anytime they respond to a call, whether it’s a fire, emergency medical services or accident call, among others.

“Our goal is to help the public the best we can,” Huntman said in a previous interview.

Huntman has been with the district since 1980 and was hired full time in 1984 before becoming chief with the district in 1995.

Jefferson Fire Protection District was first located on 17th Street in the King City and moved to its current location at 1600 S. 10th St. on Feb. 16, 1965.

It has three substations, located at Ina, Dix and Opdyke.