Cheating Suspected on Cleveland Paramedic Exam

dougd

" Cleveland police are investigating possible cheating on an exam given to sharpen paramedics' life-saving skills.

Safety Director Martin Flask said Tuesday that officials believe an employee smuggled a copy of the city-administered test last October from the Fire Training Academy...

'The exam is really an internal exam, above and beyond what's required by the state,' Flask stressed in a phone interview. He added in a news release that the incident, 'while unfortunate, does not compromise our ability to continue to provide the highest-quality service.'

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/....xml&coll=2

" the incident, 'while unfortunate, does not compromise our ability to continue to provide the highest-quality service.'

OK - so if the exam does not contribute to the ability to provide highest (not high or quality, but highest) quality care then why bother with the exam?

and this is a spokesman for the service - *** shakes head ****

Is this exam used for advancement in rank? Raise in pay? Whatever the results are for, it must be worth cheating for.

Medics in CEMS and CFD are required to pass the test every 3 years to continue functioning as a medic for the city, I believe. I don't know what they do if you don't pass it - I'd assume they make you ride basic until you complete some sort of additional CE or remedial training but who knows? I'm going to have to ask around.

well if failing it makes you ride as a basic and need remedial training then how can he say it doesnt' affect patient care. It forces the system to work with one less medic. hmmmmmmm

but then again, that might not be the case.

There is no reason to cheat on an EMS exam at any level. If you pass, you will simply be required to take further exams despite having passed exams for certification/licensure. Example: Why do services test an applicant who already has certification/licensure as an EMS provider? To get the best of the best of the best? To certify that the EMS provider really really does have valid credentials? It is mad the way our "profession" has evolved over the last 40 years compared to other medical professionals! If we truly are EMS professionals at what point are we considered certified/licensed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.