Iphone SDK

So, we all know Steve saved the world with the Iphone. Now that we have a new update and the ability to use and download non web based apps, what do you all think?

Thus far, medical apps are limited. However, epocrates is new and improved with a pill identification application that makes good use of the Iphone's great display. In addition, it is free. I cannot wait for essentials to hit iTunes.

I suspect iPod could become a next gen PDA.

Take care,

chbare.

So, we all know Steve saved the world with the Iphone. Now that we have a new update and the ability to use and download non web based apps, what do you all think?

Thus far, medical apps are limited. However, epocrates is new and improved with a pill identification application that makes good use of the Iphone's great display. In addition, it is free. I cannot wait for essentials to hit iTunes.

I suspect iPod could become a next gen PDA.

Take care,

chbare.

It kinda reminds me of being with a woman when your drunk. At first she looks great, but after you sober up, you want to get rid of her!

I have the first generation and I see distinct advantages, namely price over the contract. My monthly service fee is $10 less and that includes texting, the G3 doesn't. They also have not fixed some fundemental flaws such as not being able to text MMS messages, you have to e-mail them which is a pain in the ass and unusable by some. Plus for all who are enticed by the cheaper purchase price, don't be fooled, the $199 is only if you are not currently in a contract. If you are, they can charge you the full $399 price.

Given the pros and cons, I have no reason to upgrade. Not to mention that in less than a week, I won't need it for anything else other than an IPod.

JMHO............. :D

Meh, I still like my Tilt better. I think Flight's analogy is probably dead on. The features that are advertised are less convenient than they look. Also, if I see one more person "eat popcorn" or "drink coffee" from their iphone, I'm going to kick their iass.

I still haven't tried the epocrates software. Is it useful on a daily basis or just during brain farts?

I cannot make any intelligent comments regarding the actual phone as I am not a fan of the service; however, the core operating system has much potential when talking about using it as a PDA. I have an iPod and so far, I like many of the features. Apple allowing people access to the SDK software was a good move IMHO.

As far as epocrates, I actually use it often. However, working ER and having to deal with grandmas pill box, an eighty item med list, and hanging multiple medications, I tend to use the interactions and cautions/black box warnings areas of epocrates often. The tablet ID function is a great idea when looking through grandmas pill box and trying to figure out what the hell she's taking. I have yet to really test that feature. The core epocrates software is free as well. For strict EMS work, it may not be as helpful however.

Funny; however, in spite of all the technology, I still have a plastic flip guide that is beat to hell and contains multiple hand written pages. (the wonders of the sharpie) In fact, over the weekend, I pulled a couple of ER shifts. Had two train wrecks. RSI, multiple pressor gtts, & cardiac gtts. Guess what I used to check my math when it really counted? Faster and easier, what can I say?

Still, I like talking about all the new technology.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.