paramedic wages in volusia county florida

Volusia is one of the few remaining counties where you can still work as a 911 medic without being a firefighter.

This is your only option http://www.evacamb.org/ for 911 calls in Volusia County.

There may be some private outfits, but I don't know who.

The pay is low as well, especially due to them being single role only.

There are several Floridians here on this site, so feel free to ask questions.

My question to you is Why Volusia County?

Good Luck.

Like AK said, EVAC is Volusias EMS provider.

With 5 years, you would qualify, in years worked, to be a flight medic, should you decide to go that route.

Most places require hours, and a few certs as well, that I don't know off hand.

ORMC, OCFRD, Health First all have helicopters. I know ORMC is hiring for their bird.

http://www.orlandohealth.com/OrlandoRegion...d=1&Pid=447

Good luck.

flasurfbum

Do you know how much they pay an hour. I am interested in becoming a flight paramedic. I also see that they have another position of paramedic is that in a prehospital enviornment or is that in a hospital.

thanks

dongerva

To be honest, I have no idea, but I can not imagine that it is chump change.

ORMC has no prehospital EMS (Flight Team excluded).

I do believe that Health Central in Orlando, or Florida Hospital has some prehospital EMS.

And I know that First Flight was just hiring, I don't know if they filled that role or not.

If you really feel like a drive, check out Bayflight.

They usually prefer RNs with several years of ICU/ED experience who have an EMT-P cert (by challenge).

For their Flight Nurses, yes.

Each crew is a Medic/RN, Medic, and Pilot.

Several of their flight medics are part timers, who are F/T with local FDs as FireMedics.

To the OP, keep checking http://www.health-first.org/careers/index2.cfm

Flight Medic spots open up now and then.

When I go to the First Flight 20 year reunion, I'll see if there will be anything opening up.

flasurfbum

Do you know how much they pay an hour. I am interested in becoming a flight paramedic. I also see that they have another position of paramedic is that in a prehospital enviornment or is that in a hospital.

thanks

dongerva

It sucks big time. I think Air Methods (currently runs LifeNet in Tallahassee) was something like $14 an hour for a medic. And they work 24 hour shifts. I don't know what copters do Volusia, but it will probably run about the same. EMS here sucks too. As an EMT, you're lucky to start NEAR $30K and as a medic maybe $35-40 if you're lucky.

Go work for the feds in that area. Coleman (corrections) hires medics and sometimes EMTs for 45 a year. And its a cake job. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I know that here in Jacksonville Florida, we have 4 private services, paying 13 an hour for medic full time, and 17.80 an hour to work PRN as a medic, which is the way to go being you could pretty much work full time being PRN due to lazy people not showing up for work. Have you looked into when and where you have to go to challenge our state paramedic test, and with that are you national regristry? I hope so or no challenge.

There are many options for you, you could go through fire school in St Augustine, and get hired on, where you would probably end up on a rescue within 6 mths, you could take the Paramedic Rn bridge class in Volusia, and bridge over. Or you could work third service, and have basically no retirement.

Third service here is not what it is in other cities, its alot of nursing homes and Hospice runs. an before you go moving to Daytona, dont forget you have Jacksonville, and St Augustine, and it only take about an hour and a half to drive to Volusia from up here.

All things to think about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.