Hiring practices of fire/ems departments

Ok so this really irks me. I talked to the chief of Waukee Fire and he said that they are only hiring if you have both fire and ems certifications

OK : lets see if I can figure this out.

You want to get hired at a FIRE DEPARTMENT. Yet you have no qualifications as a FF or EMT. Now you want the city council to change the requirements so they will hire a wannabe with no qualifications. GET a LIFE!

Ok you know guys and gals I came to realize what they were trying to do about two months after I posted this. They are trying to provide good patient care as well as good firefighting on a small city budget. And no we don't have a Wal-mart but oh well. I say now what I should have said a while back at the end of august. I know that it will take time to get hired. If I want to join Waukee I will need to get both the EMS and Fire certifications. If I have to pay for it ohh well just a sign of the bad economy we are in. I know that this will take work but still I think if I try hard enough I can do it. In waukee we don't need a wal-mart. CTX if you look at the year of that census we have grown quite a bit. It will be interesting to see the 2010 census.

Ok you know guys and gals I came to realize what they were trying to do about two months after I posted this. They are trying to provide good patient care as well as good firefighting on a small city budget. And no we don't have a Wal-mart but oh well. I say now what I should have said a while back at the end of august. I know that it will take time to get hired. If I want to join Waukee I will need to get both the EMS and Fire certifications. If I have to pay for it ohh well just a sign of the bad economy we are in. I know that this will take work but still I think if I try hard enough I can do it. In waukee we don't need a wal-mart. CTX if you look at the year of that census we have grown quite a bit. It will be interesting to see the 2010 census.

i did look at the year of the census, thats why i posted the year of the census. you fail. BTW, its been 6 months since your original post, are you any closer to your dream? AAannnnnddddd.....I know its hard to believe but even in a 'good' economy, i still had to pay my way through medic school...

Instead of masturbating to the newest Galls issue you should invest in a course that will help you attain your goal or apply for grants and/or loans. From your posts it would seem as though you could better serve your community in a job that requires the wearing of a paper hat. "ya want fries with that?"

i did look at the year of the census, thats why i posted the year of the census. you fail. BTW, its been 6 months since your original post, are you any closer to your dream? AAannnnnddddd.....I know its hard to believe but even in a 'good' economy, i still had to pay my way through medic school...

Instead of masturbating to the newest Galls issue you should invest in a course that will help you attain your goal or apply for grants and/or loans. From your posts it would seem as though you could better serve your community in a job that requires the wearing of a paper hat. "ya want fries with that?"

I am currently working on getting a full time job. So that way I can pay for all training. I am going to be working from home for now for a company called cloud ten corp. I take offence to your comment about me doing fast food. I did fast food for a long time and now that I know what else is available to me I don't want to go back to foodservice.

Adam,

What you are saying is a valid point. However the City of Waukee is currently full and the only applications they are taking is ones with both fire and EMS certifications. Should you complain to the city? How dare you! We are entitled to ask for any minimum requirements we want. You currently don't even have your EMT-Basic. There are people line up with certifications we want wanting employment who cant be offered a job simply because we are full. I am sorry you have not had an opportunity to gain employment but you just don't meet the requirements we desire at this time. Its truly unfortunate that a simple google search turned up your post here on this board. I wish you well in your search.

This is a prime example of what you post on the web can come back and haunt you. What you post on the net is found easily and quickly.

A department can require anything they want for you to get hired. If they want you to have a masters degree in underwater basket weaving with a minor in PS2 system design and build then they can require that.

Complaining will get you NOWHERE but what it will get you is blackballed from their future hiring processes. Your application comes in to their HR department and they say "Oh hey here's that complainer again, he's on the no hire list"

So you can complain but be prepared to be told "you are not eligible for employment here"

This is a prime example of what you post on the web can come back and haunt you. What you post on the net is found easily and quickly.

A department can require anything they want for you to get hired. If they want you to have a masters degree in underwater basket weaving with a minor in PS2 system design and build then they can require that.

Complaining will get you NOWHERE but what it will get you is blackballed from their future hiring processes. Your application comes in to their HR department and they say "Oh hey here's that complainer again, he's on the no hire list"

So you can complain but be prepared to be told "you are not eligible for employment here"

Ruff I agree with you at this point as I said earlier. k you know guys and gals I came to realize what they were trying to do about two months after I posted this. They are trying to provide good patient care as well as good firefighting on a small city budget. And no we don't have a Wal-mart but oh well. I say now what I should have said a while back at the end of august. I know that it will take time to get hired. If I want to join Waukee I will need to get both the EMS and Fire certifications. If I have to pay for it ohh well just a sign of the bad economy we are in. I know that this will take work but still I think if I try hard enough I can do it.

I came to realize what they were trying to do about two months after I posted this. They are trying to provide good patient care as well as good firefighting on a small city budget.

Nonsense. You haven't come to realise dick. You're just sucking up to that loser with the gold badge, that's all. Good patient care, my arse. Why the hell is he looking for people with 1000 hour fire certs, but only the very minimum 120 hours of monkey training to run an ambulance if he gives a rats arse about good patient care? Give me a friggin' break. That dickwad wouldn't know "good patient care" if it jumped out of his Gall's catalogue and bit him. What he is trying to do is to provide the appearance of good patient care to the city, using warm bodies and patches, in order to justify the fire department budget, like every other unscrupulous chief out there these days. It's all about the money, and I don't mean saving money for the city. I mean taking money for the department under the pretence of providing a quality service, and then giving nothing but the bare minimum, at best, with most of the providers not even wanting to be doing it in the first place.

This arsewipe fire chief in Waukee, Iowa (repeated for Google's sake) has the dishonest nerve to pump up his department's image with delusions of grandeur on his website, jerking off wannabe kids with stars in their eyes and a raging hard-on to play with the siren, by promising to send them for the training with no experience, and then sticking his own hard-on up their arse when they bother to apply. The old 'bait and switch', just like a used car salesman. He's screwing you just like he screws the citizens of your community.

Yeah, I'd complain. Send this thread and his post to the Mayor, City Manager, and City Council. I'd complain that the chief of the Waukee, Iowa fire department is an unscrupulous liar with zero integrity who is shafting the people of his city out of money for nothing, and lying through his teeth all the while. Google that, beeyotch.

Get off your knees and grow a pair, Adam. I wouldn't hire you either, grovelling like this. Be a man and reclaim your dignity. Become the best medical provider you can possibly be, and THEN go get a job with a real, professional employer. Forget about this rinky-dink Hooterville operation. There's no future there. Would you really want to work for this two-faced liar anyhow? You're too good for his department. You deserve better. It's a big world, and it'll be even bigger when you finish your degree. Have the last laugh. Let success be your reply to this guy.

Robert Davis, RN, EMT-P, BSc., BS, AAS

Fire Captain - Retired

Dallas, Texas

Go ahead and complain to the politicians, who will call the Chief to answer the complaint. I am sure he will pick up the phone and call you for employment the very next day. NOT !!! That is like saying I would love to come to your superbowl party and eat chicken wings and drink all your booze, but I will not come because you asked me to bring some ice and a 2 liter.

I imagine many employers will start employing this tactic, as it is expensive to send these folks to school. Every fire department has about 400 applicants for every vacant position, so I do not blame them for saying, "you pay for your own school".

The reason they want you to be fire/ems is so that they do not have to pay you overtime. Again, the Chief sounds like he is running his department on a tight budget, like most are, and is making wise decisions.

• Like 1

Nonsense. You haven't come to realise dick. You're just sucking up to that loser with the gold badge, that's all. Good patient care, my arse. Why the hell is he looking for people with 1000 hour fire certs, but only the very minimum 120 hours of monkey training to run an ambulance if he gives a rats arse about good patient care? Give me a friggin' break. That dickwad wouldn't know "good patient care" if it jumped out of his Gall's catalogue and bit him. What he is trying to do is to provide the appearance of good patient care to the city, using warm bodies and patches, in order to justify the fire department budget, like every other unscrupulous chief out there these days. It's all about the money, and I don't mean saving money for the city. I mean taking money for the department under the pretence of providing a quality service, and then giving nothing but the bare minimum, at best, with most of the providers not even wanting to be doing it in the first place.

This arsewipe fire chief in Waukee, Iowa (repeated for Google's sake) has the dishonest nerve to pump up his department's image with delusions of grandeur on his website, jerking off wannabe kids with stars in their eyes and a raging hard-on to play with the siren, by promising to send them for the training with no experience, and then sticking his own hard-on up their arse when they bother to apply. The old 'bait and switch', just like a used car salesman. He's screwing you just like he screws the citizens of your community.

Yeah, I'd complain. Send this thread and his post to the Mayor, City Manager, and City Council. I'd complain that the chief of the Waukee, Iowa fire department is an unscrupulous liar with zero integrity who is shafting the people of his city out of money for nothing, and lying through his teeth all the while. Google that, beeyotch.

Get off your knees and grow a pair, Adam. I wouldn't hire you either, grovelling like this. Be a man and reclaim your dignity. Become the best medical provider you can possibly be, and THEN go get a job with a real, professional employer. Forget about this rinky-dink Hooterville operation. There's no future there. Would you really want to work for this two-faced liar anyhow? You're too good for his department. You deserve better. It's a big world, and it'll be even bigger when you finish your degree. Have the last laugh. Let success be your reply to this guy.

Robert Davis, RN, EMT-P, BSc., BS, AAS

Fire Captain - Retired

Dallas, Texas

Well Robert your problem is you keep things bottled up. It is important that you learn how to release and express your feelings. :twisted: :D

I imagine many employers will start employing this tactic

What tactic? Telling people one thing to get them in the door, then telling them something else when they get there?

Wake up, Crotch. The conversation has changed. You're not even on topic anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.