Spenac Offended by Mother Blaming Behavior On Disabled Kids

spenac

Was this bad parenting?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Children should be allowed to do whatever they want.

It pisses me off for someone to use disability as reason for bad behavior. These kids were bad behaved because of bad parenting. I have family and friends with autistic children, they make them behave. It takes work, and effort. This lady is just lazy and hoping to cash in from the airline. I saw an interview on another TV channel and she blames the behavior on their disability, this article below does not contain that statement.

The mother states the following. “The children were out of control on the flight you know, they were restless, excited and worked up and they are kids,” said Slaughter.

So why not kick them off. Her bad parenting should not disrupt my flight.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/16803334/detail.html

Family Says Airline Left Them Stranded At Airport

POSTED: 10:30 am PDT July 6, 2008

UPDATED: 11:01 am PDT July 6, 2008

SEATAC, Wash. -- A woman with two disabled children said her family was left stranded by Southwest Airlines on their way to Seattle.

Wendy Slaughter was traveling with her four children and her five-months pregnant sister Friday on a Southwest Airlines flight from Detroit to Seattle.

One of Slaughter’s children has autism and she also has a daughter with cerebral palsy.

When the family landed in Phoenix they were met at the gate by police officers, detained and told they were too disruptive to get on their connecting flight to Seattle, Slaughter said.

Slaughter said they were left stranded at the Phoenix airport with no money and no lodging.

This was the first flight for the children. Slaughter admitted the children were loud and kept getting up and walking around the plane.

“The children were out of control on the flight you know, they were restless, excited and worked up and they are kids,” said Slaughter.

The family said flight attendants asked them to quiet the children twice, but they didn’t expect to be booted off the flight

“I am furious about it. I can’t believe they could do something like that and then leave us completely stranded with no money no way to get anywhere,” Slaughter said.

Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Christi Day told KIRO-7:

"They were being disruptive and unruly on the plane, and for the safety of our customers and the flight crew, we decided to not allow them to travel on to Seattle at that time. Typically if it's a threatening behavior, it's not safe to travel 30,000 feet in the air in a contained environment."

The family said police officers bought them food and Motel 6 donated a hotel room for the night.

The children’s grandmother said she had to pay $2,000 to book last-minute tickets on Alaska Airlines. They said they didn’t have any problems on that three-hour flight.

The family said they want Southwest Airlines to compensate them and give a public apology.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Southwest should sue her for enough money to give all those that suffered with her bad parenting disrupting their flights free flights.

Sorry I am really pissed about this. They should take the children away from her.

I saw this too. I couldn't believe it. Spenac, you're right. If she can't/ won't control her kids then maybe she shouldn't have them. What was she thinking taking all those kids on a flight knowing that they would act up? Guess she was thinking of getting her peanuts more than taking care of her kids.

I told myself I wouldn't ramble, so I won't. At least for now.

“The children were out of control on the flight you know, they were restless, excited and worked up and they are kids,” said Slaughter.

And you're their mother. It's your responsibility to take care of your kids. It's not the airlines or the other people on the plane's job.

Obvious there is no discipline in the home as mother can't control them in public. Discipline must be consistent, just screaming at them in public will not make them behave. Raise them right at home and they will behave in public.

I am still trying to find either the video or a write up where the mother uses the childrens disability as an excuse.

They have autism.... yeah, your point? I have aspergers, in other words I have high achieving autism, I behave like I should in public. If you can't control your dang kids in public (here's a novel idea) DON'T TAKE THEM OUT IN PUBLIC!!!! This is what happens when the ability to punish children is taken away from parents,

This post really gets my blood boiling on two points.

1. The holier than thou attitudes of people on this board.

2. The parent for flying by themselves with 4 kids, one with CP and the other with Autism.

I have many friends who have children with autism. Many of them are well behaved yet others have such severe autism that they cannot be controlled and often leads to discussions of institutionalization.

Of the 4 or so who have posted on this so far, do any of you have children? If not then you really have no freaking grounds to complain or even begin to think you know what the parenting style or how good a parent is just by a darn news story.

If you have children and they have never gotten out of control or thrown a tantrum in public then I applaud you yet I'd be questioning your parenting. Are you too strict, do you beat your children into submission and fear so bad that they don't act out or just act like kids because they are too afraid of what you'll do to them when they get home.

Due to this thread and how it's taken a turn towards bad parenting I suspect that all of you who posted here don't have kids, wouldn't know what a child is unless it sat on your laps and called you daddy.

Why are we so judgemental on this forum and that immediately we have knee jerk reactions to news stories like this.

I'm sick of this type of posting.

I'm not saying I'm an expert parent, and does my disability being in the same spectrum as one of the 2 kids give my argument no merit? I have a good feeling of what the other passengers on the plane went through, as my brother is about as close to the lower achieving autism as you can get while still being a functional member of society, a lot of times I will actually deny he's my brother in public because of his actions (imagine being around someone who barks constantly, welcome to my world). Its impossible to deal with people with autism sometimes, the mother should have anticipated that there would be problems and planned accordingly, which from the sounds of it she did not.

Ruff I am a parent. Yes my child has thrown a fit and quickly learned that was a bad choice. Children when raised properly when young know how to behave in public. I have also played a large part in raising a severely autistic nephew. He on occasions throws a fit but because he has been disciplined since day one he quickly sits back down.

None of us expect perfection but I should not have sit by with somebodys screaming demons running around. If you can not control your children do not take them into public. They should have been removed from the plane.

I encourage children to learn and investigate, but when its time to sit and remain still children should do just that.

Perhaps its time to go back to the old ways when children were seen and not heard.

And this is not a holier than thou post, it is a post about someone trying to collect money for her own failings as a parent. Why should Southwest have to pay a dime to her? If she had even some control of her children this would have never occured.

Like I said, I'm in agreement that Southwest kicked her off. She should not have been travelling with a Severely Autistic child and a CP child without HELP and LOTS of it.

What I'm saying is that like many other posts, many of the respondents have knee Jerk reactions that what they read in the newspaper and what they read here is the gospel truth and is to be believed without verification.

It's the same as some medic who is accused of something, that is just what it is a accusation and until proven it is only an accusation. But here on the city we immediately call for his death and the castration of said medic or emt and often times, it is ruled to not be a crime yet that medic's career is ruined.

I hope that makes it more clear.