Alot to happen on one call...

Lucky~13

Did a 24 hour shift yesterday, and the first call of the shift we were sent Lights and Sirens to an MVA nearly 10 miles away (average miles for us are around 2-4 max), so it was a bit of a haul. Our PT had a seizure and struck another oncoming car. Speeds were about 45-55 MPH for both cars. Decreased LOC, multiple lacerations, a gigantic LAC on his right foot that I could clearly see muscle and bone thru, and an increasing distended abdomen. Assessment and vitals pointed towards massive internal bleeding.

Incident 1: We arrive, pulled in where we flagged too. Me and my partner get out, start to pull our gear out of the rig when the local firefighters decide to shove both of us aside and grab our stuff for us. Needless to say, I wasn't to pleased with that but went along with it since there was more important stuff happening, like the patient dying. I reported this incident to my boss but was basically told I need to learn how to deal with the firefighters.

Incident 2: We load up, and start to move out hot to the hospital. I got my lights and sirens going. We get down the road a ways when some idiot decides to stand in front of my rig about a 1/8 mile up. I go left, he went left. I go right, he went right. He did everything possible to stay right in my rigs path. A last second swerve managed to avoid him completely. Pretty damn lucky, considering my speed was about 70 mph at the time.

Incident 3: While on scene still, I was helping my partner and the medic assess and treat the PT. The whole time everyone kept saying we were going to Hospital A. So naturally I went towards there. Sometime during transport, we decided to go to Hospital B. Would've been nice if someone told the driver (me) before we got a 1/2 mile to Hospital A.

So after all that we finally get to the right hospital. It took us about an hour to write the reports and clean the rig. A lot to happen one one call, yet this post only gives you a glimpse of what all really went on. The only bright side to this whole ordeal is, I did some checking, and it looks like our PT's gonna pull through. I guess that's all that matters in the end. :lol:

Our standard operating procedure when being physically pushed by another agency is to say "Shove me again, asshole, and I'll stick that halligan up your ass sideways. Now give me back my gear and go pose for a photo."

Or something like that.

Depends what kind of shoving we're talking about.

Friend from a different forum had recently started a new EMS job, and responded as third-service county EMS with local city firefighters. When he went to one of his first calls and went to lift the stretcher, a firefighter gently hip-checked him out of the way so that the firefighters could lift the stretcher for him.

When he asked his partner about it later, he was basically told, "That's just the way it is here- they carry our stuff around for us, including the patients. We get along great."

The first thing I tell anyone new here is don't piss off the fire men. They have saved my back, they have all the equipment out before I ask for it, they give me alot of information because alot of the time they are there first, and if I have a bad call they are my support and I appreciate them to no end.

When Im driving and someone is in front of my rig (idiot or not) if Im going 70 I tend to slow down instead of participating in a game of chicken.

I guess knowing the pt is going to make it made all the bs worth while

i guess i'm just wondering what is different about this call? doesn't stupid crap like this happen every day?

get to know your fire fighters, they might have just been "pumped up" about this call. don't ever get into a pissing match while driving.....we had an emt in st louis about 11 years ago learn this the hard way by killing 3 people and damn near killing a couple more due to his own road rage....just not worth it! as far as the hospital thing goes, things change en route, just be able to adapt. slow down and take a breath when this stuff happens

take care!

If this is the only time this happens to you during your 30 year career I'll be amazed. Sounds like the fire dept was probably a bunch of vollies and dont get to see a lot. If they wanna carry my gear, fine by me. Its one less thing I have to do. Strong back...weak mind.