Plavix

p3medic

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked a paramedic friend of mine about Plavix here in Canada. I guess they are just starting with it in Nova Scotia, they are giving 75mg Plavix by the mouth to STEMI patients. My paramedic friend told me they only give 300mg Plavix to non-STEMI patients (whatever that means, I am typing what she wrote for me, I am only first aider with St. John Ambulance.)

She also wrote about giving TNK, and Lovenox too.

I do not understand what she told me, I hope this makes since.

We have a PCI policy for all our STEMI patients. Prior to arrival at the cath lab they are given Plavix 300mg, aspirine 500mg and heparin 5,000 i.u.

Plavix had the disadvantage that it only comes in tablet form, that means that it's not always possible to give to nauseous and/or actively vomiting patients.

WM

I have asked a paramedic friend of mine about Plavix here in Canada. I guess they are just starting with it in Nova Scotia, they are giving 75mg Plavix by the mouth to STEMI patients. My paramedic friend told me they only give 300mg Plavix to non-STEMI patients (whatever that means, I am typing what she wrote for me, I am only first aider with St. John Ambulance.)

She also wrote about giving TNK, and Lovenox too.

I do not understand what she told me, I hope this makes since.

Just a correction on this. I am a Paramedic in Nova Scotia. Our dosage for Plavix is 300mg PO under 75y/o and 75mg PO 75y/o and up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.