Remember the volly service that shut their doors?

REmember the volly service in Kentucky that shut their doors because the county would not buy them a new rig????

A bunch of whiners if you ask me.

Well they won, they got 30K out of the county for purchase of the new truck. The other 60K will be raised by donations.

It really does help if you whine really really loud.

I cannot remember. I just saw a short blurb in the USA today paper about it. It was in monday's paper in the news around the nation where they have each state with a interesting news piece on it.

Sounds like a union negotiation to me!!

That's what we do as union members, if we don't get what we want we walk out.

Other side of the coin though.... Our neighboring town back home hated thier manager, they decided to walk out unless she was fired. They walked out, and 2 weeks later the health region shut down the service, and we got more coverage area.

REmember the volly service in Kentucky that shut their doors because the county would not buy them a new rig????

A bunch of whiners if you ask me.

Well they won, they got 30K out of the county for purchase of the new truck. The other 60K will be raised by donations.

It really does help if you whine really really loud.

I agree with mobey - this sounds like a union move. Arguing this just because they were vollies doesn't cut it - paid employees do this all the time.

I don't know about other regions, but it seems like the nurses here either threaten strike, or do strike about every 24 months. Support staff strike.. cafeteria staff strike. Don't airlines and postal workers tend to wait until December to negotiate so that they can use the holidays as a bargaining tool?

So this group decided that the only way to be taken seriously was to walk... I suspect they had tried to negotiate in good faith, and got nowhere... so they tried this.

The fact that they are vollies is a completely different issue...

Their rig must've been in really bad shape. I work for a fire department in a small city in Alaska. We have a good ambulance up here that we run most of our calls on, but if our main rig is on a call and we get another one, we have to use this old run down unit. It's pretty bad... but it will do the job... barely. Well I just can't imagine closing our doors just because we want new toys. It seems really unfair to the community to deprive them of emergency services for that reason... unless the rig was unsafe, or some type of risk.

Well since whining works they now need to walk and demand to become professionals. They need to demand pay and not low pay. If your going to whine whine about about something important that has an impact on all EMS. Demand highest pay ever for EMS in the USA and it benefits us all as we then can use your higher wages when we go ask for more money.

I am quite familiar with the service which is the "whiners" in kentucky. It was Henderson, KY and their truck was not fit to be on the road any longer. It was undependable and frequently quit on them mid run, wouldn't start, and the county refused to do appropriate maintenance on it. If you think this is "whining" by refusing to make runs in equipment which is not dependable, then you need to have some things re evaluated ! The area is quite rural, and it may take a while to get another truck there if that one breaks down - something that happened multiple times. They were a volunteer service, not a paid service, so they were providing a service for FREE - there was no requirement for them to even provide service in the first place ! I don't feel they were out of line, and sometimes it takes a strong stand like that to achieve change that is needed to get the appropriate equipment !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.