SICK AND TIRED

WHY DO PAID CIVIL SERVICE PROFESSIONALS AUTOMATICALLY THINK WHEN YOU REPRESENT A VOLUNTEER FIRE OR EMS ORGANIZATION THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WAS ON A PUBLIC SERVICE DETAIL AT A 1/4 MIDGET GO CART RACE TRACK DURING AN A WEEK LONG REGIONAL EVENT RECENTLY. WE HAD SEVERAL TREATMENTS AND TRANSPORTS THAT WENT SMOOTHLY BUT ONE INDIVIDUAL WHOSE EXTENDED FAMILY MEMBER WAS IN NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION WAS QUICK TO LET US KNOW THAT HE WORKS AS A PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTER. HE INSTEAD OF WORKING WITH US BEGAN TO INTERFER WITH TREATMENT. HE WAS FROM OUT OF STATE AND HAD NO LOCAL MED CONTROL HE BEGAN IMMEDIATLY INTERFER WITH ME AND MY CREW AND DELAYED TREATMENT AND TRANSPORT OF HIS FAMILY MEMBER. SO MUCH SO THAT I NEEDED TO CALL FOR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT BACK UP. HE CONTINUED INTERFERENCE UNTILL LAW ENFORCEMENT SHOWED UP AND THEN SCURRED LIKE A LITTLE COCK ROACH. HE CAME BACK AFTER TRANSPORT AND PROCEEDED TO SAY HE HAS A BADGE AND THAT HE IS A CAREER FIREFIGHTER. I AM GLAD THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL THINKS THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO BE A GOOD EMS PROVIDER IS TO BE A PAID PROFESSIONAL AND A BADGE. I HAVE WORKED IN THE FIELD AS A PARAMEDIC FOR COMMERCIAL SERVICE THAT WORKS WITHIN SEVERAL MUNICIPALITIES AND I AM A VOLUNTEER AND CONSIDER MYSELF A UNPAID PROFFESIONAL FIREFIGHTER/EMT-BASIC. I HAVE WORKED HARD TO CARRY MYSELF IN A PROFESSIONAL MANOR THAT HELPS BRING CREDIT TO THOSE IN OUR FIELD OF CHOICE AND WORKED HARD TO ESTABLISHED A GOOD REPUTATION. I BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER TEN YEARS AND IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME. I THINK I AM JUST VENTING BUT IT IS JUST GETTING VERY FUSTRATING. HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILAR SITUATIONS AND ANY ADVICE

OK - Imagine this - you are an accountant with a small business. You aren't rich, but you are diligent with continuing education and provide excellent service at a fair price. Down the street from you, a guy moves in and offers FREE service. Sure, he's not always there from 9 to 5 like you, but his buddies LOVE accounting and think that its super cool to respond to anyone that needs their taxes done. How would you feel about the vollies?

Yeah drop the caps next post please:

We as vollies go through the same training as the paid guys, I for one volly because that is my choice and it is based on personal reasons. Well personally a badge does not make you a good EMS provider no more than a badge makes you a good cop.

Unfortunately, there are going to be fools who think themselves better than someone else because they are are, or are in (choose any, in any combination):

() Paid Fire fighter

() Volunteer Fire fighter

() Paid EMS provider

() Volunteer EMS provider

() Hospital based

() Fire Department based

() Law Enforcement based

() Community based

() Industrial based

() Are in from "Smallville"

() Are in from "Metropolis"

() Are too emotionally involved with the case to remember they are talking to trained individuals

() Are too drunk to realize they are talking to trained individuals

() Are always playing some personal game of "one-upsmanship" to the point of not realizing just how insulting or threatening they appear to others.

() Are so full of themselves that they cannot comprehend that anyone else on the planet is just as well trained, or even better trained, to handle the situation.

ffemt, remember not to take interactions with patients and their family/friends too seriously. Did this guy even knew you where volly, rather than paid?

I've had plenty of patients' family members and friends "get in my face" simply because it was their loved one, not because they had any higher medical authority than me. Remember, in "emergencies" we are the ones with the training to keep our cool, especially because most of those around us will be panicking. Sometimes that includes brushing off the attitudes and harsh words of "outsiders."

Frankly, if my relative or friend needed medical assistance and I were present, you can bet I would let the emergency medical personnel know that I had some experience so that 1) proper care would be given, "I'm watching you" and 2) I could assist if needed, "Hey, I actually know what's going on here."

In the long run, feel free to vent, but understand that this was just some guy losing his cool in the heat of the moment. If he, for any reason, takes this incidence further--as long as you did the right thing--you have nothing to worry about.

() Are so full of themselves that they cannot comprehend that anyone else on the planet is just as well trained, or even better trained, to handle the situation.

Rich I love that one :twisted: :twisted:

Rich I love that one :twisted: :twisted:

I am offended to have you guys make fun of me like that. Admin can you ban them please. :D:lol::lol::lol:

Ok on the serious as a known volly basher I must say it was your scene and if he was not certified and/or eligible to help or even provide a higher level of care you ask once for him to leave. If still there when I look up again I assist him out of my scene and have him arrested for hindering an emergency scene. I then follow up with my state services and report him for impersonating an EMT. Then I also report him to his state. Is this extreme? Yes, so if any of you come on to my scene and don't listen remember you have been warned. Its my scene and we play by my rules.

Ok sorry to rant, I now return you to the daily volly vs paid bash fest. Have a great day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.