First Diabedic Emergency

NKEHFAS

Has anyone else had this problem related to a first call situation?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Okay, I actually have to watch out, because I...I guess I'd say I have a high empathizing/sympathizing ability and high score on the self-introspection-intelligence rating. SO, it's very easy for me to feel exactly how someone else is feeling based on looking at them and having them describe their situation.

There have been a few times I had a near syncopal (sounds got far away, field of vision narrowed, felt hot/cold, sweaty, light headed, needed to lie down immediately) while imagining someone else's problem.

Once happened when I asked a friend to explain to me in detail how it feels to have a seizure...from aura to blackout (wasn't even a medical emergency...she said I was white as a ghost).

Another time, person getting their haircut next to me fainted after he got a super minor cut from shears on his ear. After he came to, he explained how he used to pass out as a kid when he was cut (over a decade ago and not since). When medics showed up, I started getting light-headed as they interviewed him. I had to sit down.

I've seen MUCH crazier stuff at work and have never felt this on-duty, probably because when I work, I'm concentrating more on what needs to be done medically and doing a good job than ruminating on the patient. It's usually disconnected.

But I've found my solution is to just force a new thought into my head and concentrate on something specific.

now that i think about it...it was awhile back..but the medic gave the pt a squirt of nitro..and i smelt the overspray of it... after passing out one of my buddies made it clear of what happend and how it happened..lol thanks medics!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.