Exceptions to safe ambulance driving rules?

ok, let me clarify what happened in detail

The ambulance sped by me. I was unable to get their unit number.

I sped up and was able to get their unit number. I slowed down and was able to see them in the distance.

I made the call and after a few minutes they slowed down.

I drove by them and when I realized it was a couple of my ex-coworkers I waved at them and they waved back. I continued on.

In no way did I chase them and follow them at their same rate of speed. I simply sped up enough to get their unit number and then backed off.

I did tell the medic when I talked to him later that week that I was the one who called them in . He told me that his emt needed someone to do that to him because he never drove the speed limit. Not sure how the emt felt but we are still friends although we don't keep in touch much.

I appreciate the chastisement from both Flasurfbum and Wendy, I'm not saying what I did was right, not saying that what I did was smart but as explained before this happened several years ago.

So keep bashing that's ok.

and yes, I was on a highway just the other day where believe it or not most everyone was going the actual posted speed limit. Yes there are places in the world like that.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There ya go. That makes a heck of a lot more sense!

I knew it couldn't be what it sounded like.... :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

There ya go. That makes a heck of a lot more sense!

I knew it couldn't be what it sounded like.... ;)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ditto. I didn't think you were quite the arrogant, pompous twit I made ya out to be. :wink:

We have ambulances that take advantage of a lonely but deadly stretch of road by speeding. If the Sheriff's LEO sees an ambulance traveling at much more speed than allowed by emergency vehicles, they may call the hosptial to find out if it is an emergent call just for additional information. Usually it is a routine call that just needs to make it to Miami for an appointment for special diagnostics not available at a small hospital. There's a helicopter sitting nearby for the emergently serious stuff. The LEO will then contact the company to tell the truck to slow down. The LEO will also call another LEO further up the road to monitor the speed of the ambulance as it passes. If a second call is required, there will be several tickets waiting for that driver after the patient is delivered which will take them off the road for driving. If they are an EMT and driver on an ALS truck, that could be detrimental to their job security.

Believe it or not, the only speeding ticket I've ever had was in an ambulance with a broken speedometer. It was one of those old suburban type. (showing my age now) I was returning from a coal mine call. It was 03:00, been up for about 32hrs. It was winter, had the window rolled down hanging my head out. Had something jamming on the radio. State Trooper got me 71 in a 55. The speedometer just bounced up and down so I had no idea.

Sorry, but the name calling is uncalled for. You can point out someone's error(s) without the name calling. And I know Ruff well enough that I knew there was a good explanation.

I've too waved at other ambulances. Especially if I knew who they were. If they were from another agency and they were good friends of mine, I'd occasionally wave with just one finger with a big grin on my face. ;) That was back in my younger days.

I wonder at what speed did the administrator catch up with the ambulance?

Why wouldn't making a note of the time, place, and unit number and THEN calling it in be more appropriate?

Sounds like the administrator had an anger issue here.

I wonder at what speed did the administrator catch up with the ambulance?

Why wouldn't making a note of the time, place, and unit number and THEN calling it in be more appropriate?

I had a Fire Chief like that.

This was the County Administrator who saw a county ambulance speeding. He was also aware that another county ambulance had already been involved in an accident that same day so it is just possible that safety was on his mind and/or protecting the county's assets.

There might have been some anger or concern if he thought the ambulance crew was just speeding around the county with county property since there was no other indication that an emergently ill patient was on board.

Ah, come on, he was angry because he had to file a claim on the earlier accident and didn't want to do it again.

;-)

The County Administrator is also accountable to the people of that county if taxes have to be increased due to increased insurance rates and new equipment especially if it is caused by something that could have been avoided.

I seriously doubt if this is a personal thing against these EMTs.

I, myself, as a tax payer gets upset when I see 4 pieces of fire/EMS equipment from the same station cruising different coffee houses because there's one person on each truck that prefers Starbucks and another that prefers Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.