More HEMS discussion.

I'll admit up front that I work as a flight medic. More and more, however, I have to question the wisdom of continuing my employment in this segment of the industry.

Dr Bledsoe makes an interesting case. Thoughts?

[web:2d34dbb96c]http://www.ems1.com/ambulances-emergency-vehicles/articles/404642-Alright-Ill-Say-It[/web:2d34dbb96c]

-be safe

I have to ask this, what is the proven benefit for a medical helicopter flight from the scene to a hospital.

If it takes 10-20 minutes for the ems crews to get there, then 5 minutes to assess the need for a helicopter(I'm being overly generous here), then 5 more minutes to get the helicopter notified, 30 minutes(at least) for the helicopter to get airborne and fly to the scene, a 3-7 minute loading, and then 30-45 minutes to the nearest trauma center what is the benefit. I count 90 minutes to get the bird there and then to the trauma center.

An ambulance can usually get a patient to the trauma center in 90 minutes but I'm just goin by where I worked at. It might take a lot longer to get them to the trauma center where you work.

On the flipside of this, is helicopter transport even indicated in a metropolitan area where the transport time by ground is even less?

Helicopters have their place but maybe not as many places as we've had them in the past?

I posted this article in another thread. I think Dr. Bledsoe makes some great points. I can only go by what happens here. Very rarely do we utilize the service here. It just doesn't make sense logistically. Using Ruff's numbers, we could be a the trauma centre 15 mins quicker than the helo from anywhere in our area.

All 3 of the helicopters are based at the trauma centre. I don't know enough about it to make a truly educated statement, but wouldn't it make more sense for the helicopters to be stationed at the outlying hospitals rather than being based here, therefore greatly reducing transport times?

Let me ask one more thing. What exactly does a helicopter offer over a ambulance?

I know it offers a paramedic and usually a nurse but what additional care do they offer?

I can understand RSI if your agency doesn't allow it but I think that's the limit.

I know it does offer a faster transport time (if you count airspeed) though.

What happens if the patient codes in the chopper? How much room do you have in the patient compartment of a helo? I know it depends on the type of helicopter but some of the birds I've seen have been really cramped?

Listen I'm not against air transport but I think it's over utilized. I've been one of those medics in the past that said, "Hey let's call the chopper!" and it came.

But is every call to the helicopter medically necessary?

We talk about abuse of EMS on the ground but what about medics who overuse the helicopter?

Let me ask one more thing. What exactly does a helicopter offer over a ambulance?

I know it offers a paramedic and usually a nurse but what additional care do they offer?

I know a lot of agencies around here will call for Metro Life Flight (Cleveland) to be put on standby, especially the rural agencies, as they roll up to a scene based on what they see. (I've heard some departments make the request before anyone was on-scene.. :roll: ). While they get their intial assessment, the dispatchers are getting on the same page, agreeing on frequencies, and the flight crew is starting up the engine. If air is not needed, the bird never lifts off. If they are needed, they saved 5 minutes or so.

One definate advantage that Metro provides is a DO or MD on every helicopter, so their playbook is pretty much wide open and limited only by what gear they can carry.

Metro Life Flight

I seems to me from skimming the article and Dr. B's repsone, that he is really questioning the efficacy of using helicopters for interfacility transfers.... Not so much for scene work especially when the patient is critically injured,, is that the impression that you all are getting, or did i miss something ???

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.