to buff or not to buff... that is the question.

...said the 21 year old...

Touche.................

Call me crazy but my thought is along the lines of this................

If I am toned to a call, then I respond. If not, I don't. Buffing or jumping calls dosen't put any extra pennies in my pocket and if I'm not on duty then I am not covered under any insurance policy. Not worth the risk or my time. There is an on duty EMS crew for a reason, I have faith that they are more than capable to handle or request the appropriate resourses to do so. If I am on duty and I am the closest unit, then I will respond, otherwise another unit can respond. Since there is no competition in our district (as it should be), there is no need for any "F&B vs. Unity" type tactics....................

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea was to beat the competition to the scene. We got really good at it.
You had competition!?!? Is this like Mother Jugs & Speed? Whoever shows up first gets it? Every region is assigned, here. If another company stumbled upon it, I'd have no problem.

Dispatch will send us code 2 if they hear PD call "officer down" or FD requests 2nd ambulance, but until it pops up on their CAD computer they won't officially assign us and we can't go lights/sirens.

We'll take calls for other crews, though. We're always studying and keep trying to get calls on whatever we're currently reading about, so we can apply it before forgetting it.

This was back in the 80's. There were 2 private services in the town I used to work. And yes, we raced each other to calls, just like in Mother, Jugs, and Speed. Nobody had a problem with it back then. We'd pull up behind the other guys on a scene, so that they couldn't open their back doors. We'd 'help ' out while they were extricating, but load the patient on our cot. No triage on mva scenes, no ppe. I now have all the help in the world in the way of extra manpower (firepersons). I think of all the stuff I ran on that me and my partner handled alone back then. It was not an option to call for help. Gloves were optional, sharps went in the regular trash. We were forbidden to take equipment into a nursing home (it supposedly scared the other residents). As I remember stuff, I could go on and on.

• 2 weeks later...
Are "skell" and "bus" related to buff in meaning? I've only heard one medic in my district use it before.

Skell is a synonym of mutt. One who often calls 911 for trivial calls, who has the IGM (I Got Mine) attitude, and is generally not a friend of Public Servants.

Bus is another term for ambulance. Both are used mainly in the Atlantic Seaboard area (NY, NJ).

Skell is a synonym of mutt. One who often calls 911 for trivial calls, who has the IGM (I Got Mine) attitude, and is generally not a friend of Public Servants.

Bus is another term for ambulance. Both are used mainly in the Atlantic Seaboard area (NY, NJ).

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

No offence but, Americans are weird… I’ve never heard of this nor do I know people who do it...

Says the guy that drives on the wrong side of the road! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.