When does your response time clock start?

When does your clock start?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• When the call-taker answers the phone
    • When Dispatch notifies the unit
    • When wheels are rolling
    • Do you care?

Adding to my previous posting, the call reports have spaces for time the ambulance got the call, time response started (usually the same time. Duh!), time arrived onscene, time en route to the hospital, time at the hospital, time back available. There is also other time boxes for when different treatments and vital signs were performed.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding to my previous posting, the call reports have spaces for time the ambulance got the call, time response started (usually the same time. Duh!),

Only if you're inside the ambulance when the call comes in and you know how to get there without looking at a map. There are plenty of reasons why the alert time and enroute time can have a one or two minute delay.

The ambulance service I work part time for gets a fax from comm center, and we enter the times on our run sheets.

There's a major issue with this though. Are your treatment and vital sign times also provided by the dispatch center or by someone's watch on scene? I'm of the opinion that all times on a run sheet (treatment times, V/S times, movement times (enroute/on scene/patient contact...) etc) should come from the same device if possible. It's easier to explain why all of the movement times are, say, consistently three minutes behind the dispatch time than why it took you so long or so little to go up 5 floors in an elevator and make patient contact.

Adding to my previous posting, the call reports have spaces for time the ambulance got the call, time response started (usually the same time. Duh!), time arrived onscene, time en route to the hospital, time at the hospital, time back available. There is also other time boxes for when different treatments and vital signs were performed.

Real EMS stay at stations on recliners watching TV, I mean studying and when toned run out to the ambulance. Actually usually dispatch time to enroute to call is 60-90 seconds later.

It really is immaterial where they wait for the calls to come in.

REAL EMS is taking care of the patients.

LOL. You missed my sarcasm, in fact I forgot the smilie. Sorry. But we do do have an out the door time less than 90 seconds so usually have a slight time difference from dispatched to enroute.

Well, in technical terms, fractals are actually used when determining optimum response times and goals. As we can see here, different systems are structured differently, meaning when determining analysis of benchmarks and needs, I think the info has to be tailored to each situation. Fractals are on objective way to do that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.