Knowing when to pack it up and call it quits.

So I did a search for this and couldn't find anything relevant (although admittedly is was a rather QUICK search), but I read an article on JEMS that got me thinking, which is a feat in itself. Here's the link:

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/colu...ar_No_Evil.html

Basically, it's about these two EMT's this guy worked with. One of them could never see vocal cords while doing laryngoscopy on a real patient (apparently during testing he did just fine) and the other couldn't auscultate a brachial pulse to save his life. Eventually the two left the profession to pursue other careers.

It seems like kind of a fluff article, but what I was thinking is maybe we could discuss certain signs that any of you have noticed that seem to inevitably lead to the end of someone's career in EMS. They can be signs that start early on, like in the basic class, or later on, after they've sank a few grand into becoming a paramedic. I figured this could be both a fun way to bash on former colleagues, or a learning tool for new basics and the signs and symptoms of being a complete failure in this career (that being said in the nicest way possible, of course.)

I'll start off with a very quick story. A guy in my basic class, let's just call him Meathead, started on the very rapid spiral descent to unemployed Hell when he asked these questions, word for word: "So, uh, those vital signs, those are pretty important, right? Like, if a dude didn't have a heartbeat, he'd be in some pretty serious trouble, right?" This might have been acceptable if it were the first day, or even the first week, but this was five classes before the final exam.

I'm sorry, Meathead. Maybe EMS isn't for you.

After sixteen years it was very evident that my time was up in the field. But it took me the last five years of that being in denial of it. I had to hang it up due to a nero-muscular problem that effects my neck and legs but is spreading, and other health issues. When I did so I was debating about just teaching. But after a short time I came to the conclusion that I just didn't have the time or patience to do so. So I got out of it altogether. At first it was very discouraging and took some time to adjust. Guilt, depression, frustration, adrenaline with-drawl, I felt it all. But I knew that I would just be endangering myself and others. The pain and the immobility was just too much. Now, if I hadn't quit when I did I'd already be in a wheel chair, which is inevitable in the future. "Retiring" slowed the process so that now I still get around slowly but surely occasionally needing a cane. But I'm more than happy to give advice or even tudor anyone here at EMTCity. If anyone needs help please don't hesitate. If I can't help I can probably guide you to others here that may be able to.

well my uncle wen through basic but got out because he realized he couldn't stand the sight of blood.

i know i am not squeamish so i don't have to worry about that the onloy thing i am worried about is seeing a kid hurt or a family member. i9 think that would upset me the most.

I think a sign that most of us see is the deterioration of enthusiasm for the job, and the lack of self-gratification for the work we do.

Most of us have probably worked with the partner who, when the tones go, responds with a loud sigh and groan, and upon hearing the nature of the call, mutters "geez.... another @#$%%$# old person" or similar comment. Upon arrival on scene, they go through the motions of providing care, but show no compassion or empathy for the patient, and give no comforting words or gestures to ease the stress of the patient. They show impatience when the patient cannot answer questions quickly or clearly, or the patient is slow to move when requested. The quality of their call reports has deteriorated from what they used to write, and their care and attention to the cleanliness and stocking of the unit is lacking. This person needs to evaluate why they are still in EMS, and consider a change in career.

The politics of the profession.

What disheartens me is when I see my "leaders" not trying to progress to changes for the future. I guess I am of the theory -How do you eat an elephant?.... one bite at a time. Change takes time.

Peoples' bad attitudes I can deal with, biaeching and whining, not trying to offer a valid solution, neutralizes your right to complain, I won't tolerate it. I'll challenge you on offering a solution since you seem to know what is all wrong with everything, educate, ask questions, knowledge is power. (won't say I am getting very weary of the constant whining at my work) but, one way to shut down a negative conversation is with something positive, hey where did everybody go??

If I ever say that I am the end all / be all in this field, take me out in a "whitejacket" as I know I will have gone off the deep end.

The politics of the profession.

That's what did it for me.

That and a two tiered system. I got tired of stupid BLS who would have us come in for completely useless calls. Or the all to famous "Well, we were going to recall you, but since your here you can evaluate." AHHHHH. Or I'd get the CHF'r bubbling over on a nasal @ 2 lpm while the FF/EMT (loosely) sat in the captains chair writing their report.

I still work once in a while to TRY to keep my skills in check. Now I work handing out medications to whiny inmates. But, since the pay is damn good, I can handle the boredom. Plus, most of time, I get to work alone, so there's no bickering. I got to the point where I thought every call was BS, and I'd hate responding. When I got there, I'd work if need be. But if it was BS, I just got angrier and angrier. That's when I knew I had to change paths.

Other people I've seen : clues were, inablility to start an IV, inability to start an IV without making it look like a bloodletting ceremony, inability to intubate, basically skills diminishing, so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.