LOL @ Pueblo, CO AMR/Fire Response WHY??????????????

Is this type of response really beneficial to the patient and the public?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

And yes, there are cuts in Palm Beach County, and many stations are being put on hold in my area, because they can not afford to build and staff them, despite rising call volumes, and population.

Well it is a good thing that Palm Beach County got their new fire stations built before the next budget. Nice one in Wellington. Also, how many FFs did they hire additionally in 2007?

I grew up with this system and it is amazing to see the changes that have occured in this county over the last 30 years.

http://www.pbcfr.org/

Nice photos and list of FR trucks and ALS engines (also helicopters).

http://www.pbcfr.org/stations.asp?view=text

I have yet to see a fire engine transport a patient.

Michelle Smith believes the action of the Philadelphia Fire Department lieutenant saved her life when she was having an asthma attack. With an ambulance not expected to get to the scene for as long as 15 minutes, the unidentified fire officer decided to transport Smith on the rig.

That would be Squad 41, PFD. Its an Engine Co. assigned special duties.

If you have been a fireman, you know how many men it takes on the first alarm to bring a fire under control, establish a water supply, do a primary search, ventilate, and overhaul. Show me a community that can meet the standards of first alarm assignments and within the required time, and I will show you a place that is safe to live.

Big difference is fire is about saving property. EMS is about helping people.

Wildland fires should be allowed to burn as they help keep the balance in nature. Those that choose to build in a wildland area need to prepare their property to defend against fire and even then understand that their decision to build there means accepting the risk of losing everything. I own homes in some very indefensible locations, when fire comes I will lose them as no way any FF with any brains would attempt to stay there and fight. I have cleared brush/trees/etc but there is no safe way to stay and fight. These idiots with multi million dollar homes should have prepared there property and there would not have been the loss of homes that we are seeing in the news. These idiots choices should not be used to try and justify more money for fire.

I say help people not property. More money for my familys health, we can always find a new place to live but I can't replace family.

That would be Squad 41, PFD. Its an Engine Co. assigned special duties.

Had EMS been properly funded the ambulance with healthcare professionals would have been there first. In fact there would have been no need to send fire.

Had EMS been properly funded the ambulance with healthcare professionals would have been there first. In fact there would have been no need to send fire.

Owntvt.JPG

Not disputing that. However, I presented that example to prove JP wrong.

In other words, "you're lucky we took all that money from EMS to hire more firemen, otherwise we wouldn't be there to compensate for the lack of EMS funding."

I was trying to identify exactly which logical fallacy applies to that train of thought, but I lost count. :?

Honestly, I feel that I am just banging my head against a wall, arguing with all the ignorance here. Fires just don't go out. One house burning will impinge on either side, and then one house becomes 3, 3 becomes 5, 5 becomes 7, until the whole block is gone. It takes no less then TWENTY firefighters to mitigate a single family dwelling fire. Where are all those people going to come from?

You choose to take your anger and frustration out on the WRONG source. In a perfect world, Fire, EMS, and PD would all be well paid, highly motivated, and highly trained. Guess what, this ain't utopia.

EMS already has problems retaining people. How do you think that they will be able to attract, and keep more quality people? Bring people over from the interfacility side? Most of them are just competent to pass the test, let alone take care of a critical patient.

Dept. Public Works, Sanitation Dept, city administrators, why are you not going after them?

Fire has been providing first response EMS since before EMS even existed.

I am NOT in favor of Fire transportation. I am not in favor of Fire providing full ALS care.

I am in favor of EMS getting more funding, and cutting Fire Dept ambulances, in favor of a third party EMS agency. I am in favor of ILS, and ACLS certified firemen on Engines, or even better, a Squad 51 type vehicle, to provide first response care for the patient.

Cutting fire apparatus to fund EMS is NOT the answer. Get off that idea. Quit being a cry baby because you can't get on a fire dept, or a fireman stole your girlfriend.

If you do not under stand fire behavior, in both the wildland/urban interface, and structural firefighting, how can you in good conscious advocate cutting resources?

I mean, you haven't had a car crash in years, (if ever), so why wear your seatbelt? Or pay car insurance? Or even have that expensive health insurance?

The absolute ignorance that is being displayed here is staggering. I can fully understand wanting more resources, and funding. So, how about we educate the legislators, do more public relations, stop letting privates and vollys do 911 (there are circumstances for everything, so I am not 100% against either in all circumstances), but we are our own worst enemy! How about we get the word out that hey, we aren't just people standing on the sidelines, when to call 911, and when to call a cab, and push BACK against the IAFC and IAFF when they want to fully take over EMS operations.

But be reasonable, and understand that there needs to be a comprimise when it comes to EMS operations.

Not disputing that. However, I presented that example to prove JP wrong.

My dear friend is it not obvious that this would never have been a problem had EMS received a proper budget rather than being an after thought.

It also occurs to me that if they transported her in a fire truck there may have been some patient transport laws violated.

If only patients were the priority rather than property funding would be greatly shifted. But sadly in the day we live in many value property more than life, thus fire will always be overly funded while patients and EMS suffer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.