LOL @ Pueblo, CO AMR/Fire Response WHY??????????????

Is this type of response really beneficial to the patient and the public?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

By recklessly responding, and keeping units responding, when they can be recalled? Yes. However, I am of the (rather unpopular around here) opinion that Fire should be rolling on ALS type emergencies.

Fair enough, but you can't get away with just saying that without explaining why you believe that.

What is your justification and rationale for sending a fire engine on all ALS emergencies? Or any ALS emergency, for that matter?

Here in the big "O" population 60,000 the fire department responds on chest pains, possible CVAs, and MVCs. they always respond two rescue trucks with our ALS. Their theory is that if one is needed for a fire, that one can break off and still give EMS support. They touted a record run volume of approx. 600 calls last year. That was a mere 5% of our emergency run volume. The FD was talking about taking over EMS from the private contractor since it didn't take much of their man power to respond two trucks to these incidents. Then the paper joined in saying that EMS should go to fire. Then the numbers were released in a city council meeting and everything was dropped.

FD still responds in the city, but you never know when or where they will show up. If it is a public place they will be there no matter how small the incident, but at the old lady's house around the corner from the station who has fallen from a swing and can't feel her fingers or toes they never show. Ok done griping about our city fire.

The county fire is next to spectacular. They have a paramedic on every shift. Usually can beat us to the scene by several minutes. Will cancel us if we are not needed or step us down if needed for transport but is not immediately life threatening. They start the line, board a patient, or anything else that is needed. All of their gear is interchangeable with ours and we just let them get things off our truck and take theirs, no questions asked. They will drive us, loan a paramedic for the ride in, or help in any other way that we may need them. Our county guys deserve so much more than they get. If all fire acted as they did, everyone of us would want fire to run with us. They are the epitome of excellence. i wish I could give them more kudos. Daviess Co. FD Paid/Vol guys save lives with their quick responses.

I guess what I am saying is if the dual response is handled right, it can be the best thing for the patient. There are no places for egos or non-professional attitudes. You work together including letting others know if you need to step it up or cancel them so they don't waste a trip, keep LS to a minimal, and develop trust between agencies.

This is how it is ran in my town/county.

Michael

Fair enough, but you can't get away with just saying that without explaining why you believe that.

What is your justification and rationale for sending a fire engine on all ALS emergencies? Or any ALS emergency, for that matter?

Extra hands, being closer to the call then a Rescue, lifting, moving, some one to do CPR. If an ALS Engine, they can start ALS care, or slow down the rescue. No sense in having them bust up intersections for a B(L)S call.

OCFRD, in Florida?

That is true..............for now.

Review the latest plans for the removal of Rut/Ro, and you will see that they will be responding to the City of Orlando ONLY starting next fiscal year.

Actually, I was talking about Orange County, CA. A magical place where the only medics are with the fire department and only a handful of cities transport themselves, regardless of if they respond on an ambulance or fire engine.

Actually, I was talking about Orange County, CA. A magical place where the only medics are with the fire department and only a handful of cities transport themselves, regardless of if they respond on an ambulance or fire engine.

Honestly, it sounded EXACTLY like OC Fla

Scary, huh?

Extra hands, being closer to the call then a Rescue, lifting, moving, some one to do CPR. If an ALS Engine, they can start ALS care, or slow down the rescue. No sense in having them bust up intersections for a B(L)S call.

Okay, but even acknowledging the value of extra hands on scene, why should it be firemen? That is the real question.

I'd love to have someone show up and do all my lifting for me.

Our EMS district covers multiple fire districts, each has it's own protocol. Most have nothing to do with EMS, which works just fine for me.

Some volunteer companies run a QRS squad on EMS calls. Some companies will only run on cardiac/respiratory arrest calls. Others throw in pedestrian struck calls, more as a benefit to the police.

Luckily, there is no racing, or fighting on scene, although there can be a lot of testosterone.

And another benefit, no fire department does ALS.

OK even though w/o other than a quick glance in my opinion patient was not in bad shape, no signs of distress, was actually smiling.

Considering that dispatch information is only as good as the caller gives, you really have no idea what the unit was dispatched for... They could have been told any number of things, by several different callers. Everyone thinks they're doing a good deed by calling 9-1-1 and giving off the wall, potentially false information, with out looking into the matter first.

Considering that dispatch information is only as good as the caller gives, you really have no idea what the unit was dispatched for... They could have been told any number of things, by several different callers. Everyone thinks they're doing a good deed by calling 9-1-1 and giving off the wall, potentially false information, with out looking into the matter first.

That is true. But does it excuse the bad driving? In my opinion the more people around the slower we should be going.

Bad info is rampant. If we get a call that someone is dieing odds are it is complete BS or they have already been dead for a long time. If we get call that just wants BP check as they don't feel good seems like we'll be doing lots of work. I could go on and on but I won't.

IMHO, there is never an excuse for bad driving. That just sets me off.

Tiered response has been creeping into systems since high performance EMS reared it's head. This is just a way to cut down on response times. As stated by others, it is also a way to justify large fire budgets. The trend over the past twenty years or so has been declining fire responses and increasing EMS responses.

It is a waste and safety issue except when the patient turns out to be 400lbs and on the second floor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.