The Road Less Travelled...

mark

Let's talk a little bit about non-traditional medic jobs. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my illustrious medic school career, and I want to see what opportunities are out there for people like myself that don't involve jumping on with the local service. We all know about hospitals hiring medics, but what about other areas? I know oil rigs/fields hire medics. Who else and for what? I'm curious about overseas/remote access areas. Any thoughts?

Remote mining locations; clinics in remote villages and fishing camps, etc. The US still has a lot of remote locations, so if you're in to that, you may have options.

Kansas City Zoo - Kansas City, MO The Kansas CIty Zoo is looking for a Part Time EMT to join our staff. Certification and licensure as an Emergency Medical Technician and at least 6 months of...

From Kansas City Zoo - 3 days ago - save job -

block - email - more...

View all Kansas City Zoo jobs

Salary Search: EMT salaries in Kansas City, MO

More information about Kansas City Zoo

Related forums: EMT - Kansas City Zoo - Kansas City, Missouri

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent link to this job

Good question.

I think you'll have a hard time with the overseas jobs with your level of experience, but I could be wrong. I've heard rumors that sometimes, if you have an 'in', you can make it happen.

Also, I was approached the other day about working at one of our local prisons. I guess some of the DOCs use medics, (We have seven prisons here within about a 10 minute drive) and I'm going to look into that...so can't give you any specific information at this time...

Good luck. Remote medicine is a whole different ballgame I hear...You'll need to be at the top of your game.

Dwayne

You could work in an HBO center, get your CHT (Certified Hyperbaric Technologist) and then work for an industrial dive team. You may then be able to utilize your paramedic skills as well as your HBO knowledge. Salvage, recovery, treasure hunters and industrial teams travel all over the world. For these positions, you would have to have a variety of serious experience and be able to function very independently.

There are also Disney parks and Universal Studios. Set medics also do well.

Another option, if available to you would be working in the middle east as a medic. I am friends with one medic who was there for 2 years, working as the King of Saudi Arabia's personal medic...you may have to have several years experience for this though...good $, something like $150,000.00 tax free a year for a 2 year contract.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.