ER Access Keypads- Opinions?

This:

ECVI-200S.jpg

Yeah, there's nothing better than standing outside the ER doing compressions and waving at HAL to open the pod bay doors already.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the Proxi Card. Some places have it set up where the proximity pad is down around waist level, and you don't have to even pull the card from your wallet. Just swipe your arse around the pad and keep going. But yeah, I agree that the badge style cards suck as bad as a keypad. Worse, in fact. I refuse to have that crap hanging off my uniform.

There's one hospital in my area that uses badges, but I don't transport there anymore. When I did, the company kept the badge on the truck's keyring. Nothing to hang.

Let's see.... One badge door, one security-activated door (OB/GYN hospital), three keypad doors, and the rest are nothing. One hospital's door code is their zipcode, which I found to be a far better idea than the usual "1234" or variations thereof that the others have.

Thank god there are only like 3 hospitals I go to with codes.. and one with badge only entrance, which sucks, but I deal.. The codes that we do have are all the same though the 911* 911# or even 0911 not a big deal to remember them.. just have to remember which one goes to which I don't like writing things like that down so I don't lose them. Most idiots could figure it out, but I don't want that one retard that didn't have a clue of what the code was finding out because of me.

Yeah, there's nothing better than standing outside the ER doing compressions and waving at HAL to open the pod bay doors already.

Just like I said..get a $20,000 Geezer Squeezer (AutoPulse) and you don't have to worry about compressions....

Then the door thing really does not matter any more....

Unless like the night before last when the charge nurse barges in and tells us to take that damn thing off the pt. and do proper compressions....hmmm..

(Oh, and we still waited outside the door for 1:30 while the receptionist came back from a potty break) :D:):lol:

Sorry....I forgot about the "sharks with friggin lazer beams man trap"

I just want to hire Bambi and Thumper (Diamonds are forever) for my security detail

(The old geezers SHOULD remember that one.....)

Rat115 said

Please clarify that one: The ambulance entrance is actually inside a garage door and "bay", into which one backs the ambulance? Neat, great protection against inclement weather, but lousy if there is a power failure as you arrive, and the internal power hasn't kicked in yet (or, for that matter, getting back out and available...wait one...uh...)

You got it right. We have a garage bay that we back the ambulance into. I've seen straight winds out here clocked at 90+ MPH, so this is really nice at times. They are actually in the process of adding on to the hospital here and moving both the ER and the ambulance bay. They are going to keep the same set up because it works so well here.

In case of power outage, we have a emergency release handle that can be accessed by the hospital or ambulace staff to open the door. We have more problems with idiots blocking the door with vehicles than we do getting the door open.

Once we've backed in, the bay door stays open until we pull out. That makes sure the exhaust airs out (yes, we shut off the engine when we get out) and the door doesn't get stuck down. One of the crew is normally back out within 3 minutes, so it's not been a security hazard yet. (=; Yeah, I know the key word there is "yet".) We close the door when we pull out. Right now, they have part of the back part of the bay filled with crap for the remodel project, so we couldn't back all the way in even if we wanted to.

Scara..... :P ......Yep, they got real electric power out here a while ago. We're right up town with you city slickers. LMAO

in response to an author on this post why would you wear gloves to drive your rig. I could understand putting on gloves to get your trundle out of your rig at the ED but can't see the use of gloves while driving. As far as the keypads they're some of the filthiest things you could possible see or touch. For the original author I know some of the hospitals you go to because I frequent the same ones and pg's has to be the worst one next to st. john's in far rockaway

If I'm driving, I put a new pair of gloves on as I open the back doors. I'll need them either for the gurney, the keypad, or the vitals machine in the ED. If I'm in the back, I might not re-glove (provided I've deconned my gurney and no bodily fluids were on that call and push the back...aka not the one who inputs the keycode).

On my way out, I usually use my elbow to activate the doors or push them open. I hate touching keypads, VS stand, or door open buttons without gloves...eww.

How is touching with your elbow any different than touching with your fingers? you are still touhing it.

Why aren't your gloves still on? I keep mine on, or if I am forced to re-glove, I will do so, until I am walking out after giving report. Just in case the pt. needs something else, I don't want to have to grab a new pair?

In my state, the hospitals usually get to pick their own PINs for the keypad, so that is okay, but they all seem to be morons, and pick things like 100911*....not very original!! :|

If you're (generic) walking around the hospital with a pair of used gloves on (if you've touched a patient with the gloves on, then the gloves are used), then you are a part of the problem, not the solution.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.