AMR Rivedrside

has any one worked for them ive been thinking of getting a job with them. but do you know has an experenced EMT of more then 2 years what they pay and if you run 911 calls or just interfacility transports. i want to be able to get more 911 type experence and rather not have to do IFT's anymore or atleast do more 911 type stuff. ive also worked for AMR San Diego a couple of years ago and all did was primary IFT's unless you were a Paramedic.

has any one worked for them ive been thinking of getting a job with them. but do you know has an experenced EMT of more then 2 years what they pay and if you run 911 calls or just interfacility transports. i want to be able to get more 911 type experence and rather not have to do IFT's anymore or atleast do more 911 type stuff. ive also worked for AMR San Diego a couple of years ago and all did was primary IFT's unless you were a Paramedic.

Please try and post more professionally so we can try and help you.

I'm a newly certified Basic in both Los Angeles and Riverside Counties in California. And before deciding to go the ED route as a Tech I looked into both systems and did several ride-alongs in each.

I know you didn't ask about LA County but just for the sake of comparison . . .

In LA the fire department is the primary responder to 911 calls. Privates also respond to some of the same 911 incidents and seem to usually do the transport, and sometimes if it's serious, with the fire medic onboard. It seemed obvious (to my inexperienced eye) the main purpose of this is to leave the FD ambulance pristine and the privates with the mess to clean up.

Riverside County works a bit differently, at least in the eastern part of the county like Perris Valley and Hemet. You benefit here from the fact California State is a county by county system. And the rule of thumb here is the more rural the agency the more fully you can practice to the limits of your scope. Also the Riverside FD is not as well funded or as all encompassing as the LA FD. And while they still send an Engine to most all 911 calls the responding ambulance will be AMR with two EMTs onboard. And they seem to work on the principal of call in ALS if it's hairy. But I also think they run some ambulances with a Paramedic and a Basic onboard too. I don't recall the pay scales, but the living is way cheaper than in LA or SD.

Since I'm not an experienced street EMT, I can only go by the little things I noticed on the few ride-alongs I did. The relationship between LA Fire and the privates was a little too frosty for my taste. It was better in Riverside. Also when I applied for my initial certification in LA, even though my ducks were all lined up properly, it was a descent into bureaucratic hell. On the other hand the EMS agency in Riverside (it's located in Corona) was friendly and efficient. I think what I'm getting at is between the two counties working in Riverside might reduce your overall heartburn.

Again, grain of salt here, as I'm eyeballing this all as a newbie . . .

NickD :)

EMT-B

Phlebotomist 1

Plus 5 for drawing NickD out of his cave. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that, with little success, but it's always worthwhile when it happens. He speaks teh wisdom.

AMR Riverside is probably the best non-fire EMS gig in Southern Kalifornia. Like Nick said, you get to practise real EMS there, not just be an ambulance driver, like most of the LA County guys. I don't think any cities in Riverside County run transport. And I believe almost all Riverside County AMR units are staffed by at least one paramedic, so they take charge of patient care instead of just being drivers for the firemonkeys. There's not another system like that between Kern County and San Diego, as far as I know.

Of course, they do IFTs, along with several other privates who do only IFTs. And some days they may outnumber the EMS runs. But it's a good mix that allows you to take a break and dump the crap calls on your basic. :)

They have an in-house paramedic school that is of dubious value. It's pretty new and still working out a lot of bugs, and it looks like that may take some time. They tend to teach what you need to know to be a medic for AMR Riverside, not what you need to know to be a well rounded, well educated paramedic overall, so that's a negative. But it is better than many other non-degree programmes, and they do have a relationship with a college that grants the Associates Degree after obtaining some more courses. Of course, getting those courses AFTER paramedic school is a shitty way to go, but I digress. Having an in-house school that is paid for and works with your schedule definitely has to be counted as a real benefit for the EMTs of that system.

I have several friends there, and although I don't know exactly what they are paying, these guys aren't missing any car payments. Like Nick said, the cost of living is significantly better in Riverside county than LA county.

I don't think any cities in Riverside County run transport. And I believe almost all Riverside County AMR units are staffed by at least one paramedic, so they take charge of patient care instead of just being drivers for the firemonkeys. There's not another system like that between Kern County and San Diego, as far as I know.

I think that there are one or two cities that use EMS based fire suppression, but it's rare, especially compared to the rest of Southern California. Also, the county has a list of chief complaints/assessments that non-911 companies are not allowed to take. By not allowed to take, I mean if a SNF calls an IFT for "Low O2 Sat," the IFT company is supposed to refuse the call and direct the SNF to call 911.

Hey,

I worked for AMR Riverside for almost 5 years, but am starting a job in Kern County. Riverside was a good place to work when I first started, but it's not as much fun anymore.

If you start there as an EMT, they will put you on a BLS ambulance for six months and make you run only non-emergency transports. Because you have prior experience, they may make an exception, but you should talk to Riverside management about that before you apply.

AMR Riverside runs medic/EMT ALS units. However, about two years ago, the new manager stop letting EMT's go in the back with patients. So, even if the call is for a stubbed toe, the EMT has to drive and only the medic goes in the back with the patient.

Also, all the Riverside city/county fire dept.'s now have medics, and they usually will beat you on scene. As a medic, I could go six months without an intubation. As an EMT, you will also be doing less because the fire guys will be running the show.

As Dust mentioned, their school is pretty lame. It's also the most expensive medic school in So Cal!

AMR Riverside management is horrible, and most employees are unhappy. I can't recommend Riverside AMR to anyone.

I did two ride-outs with Riverside AMR for school (Crafton Hills College, Yucaipa). They were both ALS units so I can't speak for the BLS units. We ran a lot of calls, and they were all pretty good calls, I learned a lot. The EMTs and medics that I worked with were very good people, but I did get the feeling that some of the employees were not happy with the state of things. I am still considering working with them when I am done with school. I heard that it's not just Riverside AMR that has the "no EMTs in the back" deal going on. I think that Redlands and San Bernardino have similar regulations in place now. I am considering working Riverside because it is a huge city with a lot of diversity... should be interesting enough.

I am considering working Riverside because it is a huge city with a lot of diversity... should be interesting enough.

It's really the only job in SoCal for a non-fire paramedic, so it's not a difficult choice. :D

Hmmm...maybe I should've gotten a job with Kern County Sheriff instead. :D

If you're gonna work in the dreaded 909 (Inland Empire), your best bet may be Hemet. I met some of the Hemet crews last year during the big fires, and I was surprised to hear that they really liked working in that division. I later met the division boss, and he was really a nice guy. You may also want to look into the division that coves Apple Valley (I forget the name) because I've heard good things about them too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.