Cellulitis

We get patients with cellulitis every so often and everyone freaks out about isolation. We didn't go over it in EMT class, but it was my impression that it wasn't a particularly contagious thing unless there was wound to wound contact? I've heard different things.

OBVIOUSLY, it requires BSI, but it seems like it's treated like a major thing, worse than just a cut. So, thought I'd ask here for info on it as it pertains to EMS.

We get patients with cellulitis every so often and everyone freaks out about isolation. We didn't go over it in EMT class, but it was my impression that it wasn't a particularly contagious thing unless there was wound to wound contact? I've heard different things.

OBVIOUSLY, it requires BSI, but it seems like it's treated like a major thing, worse than just a cut. So, thought I'd ask here for info on it as it pertains to EMS.

I wonder if in this time when everyone is freaking out about MRSA if perhaps they are not able to tell the difference between pathologies, so that a "skin thing" is always to be feared.

I'm not pretending to know of course, but I did notice during my clinicals that some medics assumed that anything red, irritated and weeping in any fashion was scary, while others had no trouble putting skin issues into their proper categories, thus treating, and applying caution, more appropriately.

Just a thought.

Dwayne

It will depend greatly on what the infecting cause is.

Typically if standard antibiotics don't resolve the infection, it is going to be MRSA or worse.

My first questions for red nasty pussy skin thing are as follows: "Are you currently being treated for this? Have you seen a doctor yet? Are you taking antibiotics? If so, what kind? Multiple rounds? How long has this been like this? Is it spreading? How long has it taken to spread from the initial boo-boo to this ugly nasty monster we see right now? Have you been exposed to anyone with MRSA or other contagious disease that you know of? Is this from a bug bite?"

Being treated, on antibis, still getting worse and quickly, yes, I'm going to take more precautions. Anything that's moving fast, yes, I'm going to take more precautions and move more quickly. Known MRSA exposure/colonization, yes, I'm going to take more precautions. Unknown? Well, I guess I won't rub my scraped knee against it...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

CO EMT-B

• 4 weeks later...

It depends of what kind of source the infection is coming from. Is it air-born, or from contact with something, or both?

I have a 12 yr. old niece with cystic fibrosis and she contracted MRSA. At first it was all protection when visiting her. After a year of battling it, she is now free and clear. MRSA is serious but don't freak out about it.

Always glove and mask as basics. Go from there with what you think is appropriate.