Florida EMS Reciprocity Question

EMS179

A friend of mine is a NJ/PA/NY/NR EMT-B. He wants to go to florida. According to the website the only "NR" cert they except is military certs. I spoke with someone else and he said the only reciprocity FL excepts is Texas and NY. Is that true?

Professional Education

You may comply with the EMT or Paramedic professional education requirements in a number of ways.

* Florida Training - Successful completion of EMT or paramedic professional education from a Florida Department of Health approved program will be recognized for a period of only one year from course completion. You must pass the Florida required exam within the year of course completion to use this professional education to qualify for initial certification. You are required to submit a copy of your course completion certificate and your CPR or ACLS cards to sit for the Florida exam.

* Out of State Certification - An EMT or paramedic certificate from another US state, territory, or possession, or from military service can be recognized as a professional education equivalent, provided the certificate is current and in good standing. You are required to submit a copy of the front and back of the certificate as well as a Statement of Good Standing (pdf - 95kb) (DH Form 1164) completed by the state or national-certifying agency.

* National Registration -An EMT or paramedic certificate from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians can be recognized as a professional education equivalent, provided the certificate is current and in good standing. This type of certification is recognized for individuals who have taken an EMT or paramedic course on a military installation. You are required to submit a copy of your National Registry certificate and wallet card.

* Health Professional Licensure - A Florida licensed physician, dentist, or nurse may apply for certification as a paramedic and subsequently challenge the paramedic exam, provided he/she holds a Florida EMT certificate which is current and in good standing. You are required to submit a copy of your current Florida license or registration.

* FL Paramedic Certification - A Florida certified paramedic may use his/her paramedic certificate, provided that it is current and in good standing, to satisfy the professional education requirements for certification as an EMT. You must indicate your current paramedic certificate number for us to verify your certification and standing.

Exam Requirements - All EMT and paramedic certification applicants must take and pass the state required examination to become Florida certified. The required EMT exam is developed by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians and the paramedic examination is ?state-developed.? All applicants must first apply for certification in order to be eligible to sit the required examination.

* EMT candidates who received their training at a Florida approved EMT program will take the NREMT certification.

* EMT candidates who are currently certified in good standing by another U.S. state or territory or by NREMT will take the NREMT written assessment exam

* Paramedic candidates will take the 150-question state-developed exam.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/emt-paramed...ts.html#Initial

Considering that it appears that Florida uses the NREMT-B exam, I'd say that they give reciprocity for it. They're website could have been worded a little better though in that regard.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/emt-paramed...ts.html#Initial

Considering that it appears that Florida uses the NREMT-B exam, I'd say that they give reciprocity for it. They're website could have been worded a little better though in that regard.

that is what gets me about the NR aspect of it. It states only military training is excepted, but then it states that everyone will take the NR test. . Oh well, I guess its time for a phone call on Monday :roll:

that is what gets me about the NR aspect of it. It states only military training is excepted, but then it states that everyone will take the NR test. . Oh well, I guess its time for a phone call on Monday :roll:

You're reading way too much into this.

Nationally Registered EMTs and medics from the military do not carry state certifications or licences, because they frequently do not reside or practise in their home states. Consequently, their particular branch of the military (the Army in my case) is considered their "state" by the National Registry. That's why Floridia will accept NR from them without a state certification.

This is not an obstacle for you or anybody else who is not military. National Registry won't even certify you without approval from your state, so if you are Nationally Registered, and not military, you should also have a state certification. And Floridia clearly states they accept (not "except") out of state transfers.

I'm not understanding what you see to be a problem with this.

As a FL medic transplant who went through this, it is simple.

If you have National Registry, you are allowed to challenge the state exam. Simple, see?

But yes you will HAVE to take the state exam and their are state specific questions on that exam. The good news is that the exam is computer based and you can take it at any certified testing center such as Pearson Vue, etc.

That will save you money on time and travel. The above is for Medic candidates only.

For the most accurate and up to date information, call the DOH. Their number is on the website and they are surprisingly easy to get ahold of and answer all your questions.

I too recently transplanted to Florida, and it was surprisingly easy to challenge the state test. Just be patient as the state wheels turn quite slow (in my case anyhow). I suppose I did not post any new information, but oh well. Good luck to you and your friend anyhow.