FIRST MVA

If you are not exhibiting signs of PTSD (to yourself or to others) you need to just go on with your life as if nothing ever happened. Dwelling on it in CISD doesn't cure PTSD, it causes it.

Agreed..If you have dreams about it, or feel anxious or unnerved when thinking about the situation, maybe see a professional counselor or other psychiatric professional.

CISD is NOT the answer. Although I disagree with the mandatory CISD, I am very supportive of individuals getting professional counseling when needed. It is not a sign of weakness, quite the contrary..

The hospital that your Medical Control bases out of must have a social worker or similar you can talk to, confidentially, in regards to getting a session with a professional. Certainly, this should be considered if you, or others close to you, see a change in your temperament....

Casual discussions with peers may not be harmful, as long as they stay in the positive. But then again, like Dustdevil said..if it doesn't bother you now, don't dwell on it and make a problem where none exists at this time..You can't argue with that logic :D

Have you had the chance to have a conversation with him about it and let him know the accident really wasn't a big deal. I think I forgot about my first DOA MVA an hour after the call and that was only b/c we were sitting around the station with nothing else to talk about.

You might also let him know some studies have shown increase in PTSD for those forced to take CISD.

• 1 month later...

I remember going through EMT-B training when I encountered my first DOA. Oddly enough, after the call we went for ice cream. No questions asked about how I felt about it or anything. I was perfectly fine with it, wasn't "tramatized" or anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is some people take death and the sight of it differently. On one hand you have someone offering you assistance if you need it, on the other, a quick ice cream before the next call. I personally think if you are fine and understand what has happened and why, you shouldn't be forced into CISD. But....if you have any doubts about the way you feel about it at all, I would suggest you go for the CISD.

Best wishes.

My very first call was just a transport of a CT. But nine days later my first actual emergency call was a full arrest. It was a non-save. So, I just returned back to school just in time for typing class. I was still in high school. At first the teachers kept asking me if I was OK and making over me. I just told them I was fine, didn't bother me. It was expected when I signed up for that kind of duty. The school principal took the class the same time I did so occasionally we'd be scheduled together and ran out of school in the day. But most of the time we were paired up was at night. After about 11 months we had ran on almost any type of the usual calls you get in small town, rural areas. We had a blast. After a late night or an all night call they offered to let me stay home from school but never did.

• 2 weeks later...

My first actual MVA was a '77 Trans AM "Bandit Edition T-top" flipped off a notorious "S-curve". Driver was not at scene. So no trasport.