Benefits of attending an accredited paramedic program?

I've been searching the forums, and finding many posts recommending people attend an accredited paramedic program, but darned if I can find any clear explanation of just why. I'm about to start an AAS degree program for Paramedic, but the program isn't accredited while the college I'll be taking it at is. The college I'll transfer the Associate's to does have an accredited Bachelor's degree in EMS.

Maybe I'm just having a really bad day today, but would someone mind cluing me in?

I think you have run into the problem that will face true accreditation of EMS programs. Since there are very few people that have masters, let alone doctorates in EMS, there are few to meet the requirements set forth by many collegiate accreditation conferences. There is only one such program in all of KY.

The theory is that you have a more structured learning environment that will ensure that you receive all the classroom skills needed. The only problem is that the individuals needed to actually get these programs accredited are lacking in numbers. Many MSN's don't have the background either to achieve accreditation.

The strongest program around my area is taught through a hospital and is overseen by an ER Doc that is actually into teaching you. the next best program is only open to career FF's. Both programs are extensive hands-on programs and offer a great education. If you want the only accredited program that I know about in KY, you would have to drive about 6 hrs one way.

Hope this helps on why the accredited programs are lacking in numbers, even at accredited schools.

Michael