Hiring practices in EMS ... the NEW trend?

tniuqs

Would You want to work for a service with this hiring practice?  

8 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES.
    • NO run away the operation is doomed.

Quote dust;

A hiring committee is one thing, but a democratic society within a corporation is a recipe for mediocrity, if not disaster. Do you, as the boss, let all your people in on other important corporate decisions? Do you let them decide what your rates are going to be? What your benefits are going to be? What brand of trucks you're going to buy? What your protocols are? I submit that, if they aren't smart or trustworthy enough for those decisions, then they damn sure aren't smart or trustworthy enough for the much more important decision of who is going to represent your firm in the public. As was already said, you can't have it both ways. And trying to do so is an insult to your current employees.

When I initially read the reply I missed this paragraph completely.

I did have a brief opportunity (picking up a truck from a garage) and a one on one discussion with the manager, I did ask the manager about the validity of staff opinion in regards to budget, capital purchase, wages, shifts worked, things like that, and in passing presented in a non threating manner, presented "just" as dumb question is all.

The answer was that S/HE knew what type of equipment the staff needed because S/HE worked on the road as well, so S/HE would know IF the staff actually needed that new ETCO2 monitor or the like, no mention of the other issues at all. The discussion never got around to issues that clearly border on the concept of the introduction organised labour, could this just be an appeasement / lip service to the current staff, I do believe so now.

Backgrounder:

The very real possibility of complete reorganisation and or regionalization exists as the government may be very soon stepping in with all ambulance operation's in the province, a strange but timely release by the government. This just one day after my "interview" I believe that if this occurred that this small show would be swallowed up in the blink of an eye.

That said :

democratic society within a corporation is a recipe for mediocrity, if not disaster.

Yes dust this is one of the biggest concern's that I had too, I follow the Chain of Command and then ask questions but allowing and encourage subordinate level of education and experience to have an "equal say" in patient assessment and treatment is going to sewer any concept of progress. Let alone the democratic hiring process that I was subjected. I truly find this absurd, this is a social political correctness "experiment" no more no less.

Further Observation:

So after my little "ride along" with a "possible syncope NYD" I was frankly shocked at overly poor assessment of the "Veteran" Paramedic that I was assigned, I was completely silent in that call. Odd because if I were in the same position that of a "potential evaluator" of a future staff member (and had input) I would be including and asking him/ her for any input... i.e. "Like do you think I have missed something here or any suggestions ?"

Is this hypocrisy or am I now being too hyper critical ?

Cincinnati Score and good neuro assessment did come to mind. 8)

The whole concept of a team approach was a sham, little or no discussion with the EMT (driving) and an experianced provider in the back of the gut wagon too and absolutely no dialog initiated at all, nice concept but a big fat FAIL in my books.

On a personal note any form of rejection should with a rational thinking man have that individual to take a look at themselves and ask WHY ? I have and sought assistance an have considered all options even the Troll's .... and just where did he go anyway back under a bridge or in a coffee house ?

I was actually very relieved with the e-mail follow up, as it was a forgone conclusion that I would be not a successful candidate within the first hour of contact nor would I even wish to provide services.

I will be considering this while I am at working as a project manager starting in a few days. :wink:

And thank you for the objective and astute input of all respected members that have taken the time to voice their opinions in EMT city, I can wholeheartedly say that I would never "FIT IN" and Thank DOG !

CHEERS ALL.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might send him back an email saying something like, "Thank you for your consideration. After meeting you and your staff, and having the opportunity to see your company in action, I agree that my experience and qualifications are not a good fit for your organization. Good luck in the rest of your hiring process."

But that's just me. And I can be a real asshole. :wink:

I might send him back an email saying something like, "Thank you for your consideration. After meeting you and your staff, and having the opportunity to see your company in action, I agree that my experience and qualifications are not a good fit for your organization. Good luck in the rest of your hiring process."

But that's just me. And I can be a real asshole. :wink:

Man, though perhaps not the most productive step you might take, I like that idea a lot!

Dwayne

This was my reply a tad more politically correct, I think.

Commenting on hiring the process really was quite pointless IMHO.

Dear Manager:

There was no doubt in my mind that this would be the outcome.

I too wish you good luck in your career as well.

cheers

Actually, you might have had a good shot before s/he read this thread. :lol:

:lol: Funny thing you ask, I did ask if anyone at the service was a member of any type of EMS professional forums ..... got lots of blank looks. The manager stated (You mean like facebook ?) :shock:

So I advanced your CV to that service there dusty . :shock:

Good Luck with that .... te he he.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.