Almost done starting to get a little nervous

Iam going to school for my emt-b in iowa! We are almost done however Im starting to get nervous about the practicals and the national test! Any advice on how to work through this. It seems like i am always forgetting patient assessment and the order that it goes in

Congrats and good luck on the NR.

The best advice I can give you is not to read more into the questions, don't over think them simply answer what they ask don't read more into it than is there.

Eat light before you go test (less puke to clean up that way! jk)

Don't get too stressed out.

I guess that is all I have off the top of my head right now but good luck and keep us posted.

ITK

Wrong forum. In the "taking the test" forum, just about every topic there asks this very same question. Read through them, and there is no good advice that you won't walk away with within the hour.

Don't stress it. It's not rocket surgery. It's just a silly first aid course, written at the eighth grade level for illiterate volunteer firemen. Certainly nothing to stress over, if you look at it that way. They even give you three chances to pass it. You're obviously more literate than most who take the course. If you passed high school, you're not going to flunk this test. You'll do fine.

If you are overly nervous about your performance, then just practise more. Get the skills check sheets and a couple of partners, then spend a few days walking through scenarios. It's all very, very basic. They don't throw you any curves. Completely straightforward, just like you practised in school. As mentioned, don't read into the situation. It's simple ABCs. If you go looking for more, you'll mess up.

Same thing on the written. EVERY question goes back to ABC. Know when to bag, when to give oxygen, and when to do compressions. ABC. Always ABC. If you know nothing but ABC, you can pass that test, so don't sweat it.

Good luck!

Iowa?! That is where I am and went to school for both EMT-B and Medic. Where at? Like Dust said, just remember your ABC's and you will do fine. That is what I did and I passed. Even as a paramedic student right now, we are taught to do the ABC's first on every single call, you can't do anything else unless you are able to get past the ABC's and don't move on until you have the airway, got ventilations or breaths, and you have circulation. I am sure you will do fine and don't stress. Remember what you have been taught and review the patient assessment. Good Luck!

Ames

Our class (EMT_:D completed the practical exams in March (we all passed!).

Early on, I created my own mnemonics for the Medical and Trauma assessments, to help me remember the steps. I took a classroom CPR dummy home, so I would have something to look at and touch. I also ran thru all the mandatory stations at least once daily and eventually was able to ditch the mnemonics.

This may have been overkill and may or may not work for you, depending on your learning style.

When prepping for the practical exam, we were told that the Random station is almost always Bleeding Control/Shock Management. When the exam began, we were told the Random station was Airway, Oxygen and Ventilation Skills/Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction (which was probably even easier than the Bleeding Control station). The point is to be ready for any of the Random Skills when you test.

No matter how much you practice, you'll probably be nervous, especially for the first station, so if you can, pick a station that's easy for you as your first test.

Good Luck! You'll do fine!