Spin-off thread: Consequentialism in EMS

asy

Does the End justify the Means?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• No.
    • Oh YES!!
    • Only when it?s for my personal or my friends? benefit.
    • But I have a really noble cause! Plus I am a medic.

The reason I ask is that 'let the smart people govern' is good in theory, but it assumes that the smart people must live within the social/political/ethical environments that they create...Something that is no longer happening in the U.S.

You'd probably find it an interesting read...

Dwayne

The reason I ask is that 'let the smart people govern' is good in theory, but it assumes that the smart people must live within the social/political/ethical environments that they create...Something that is no longer happening in the U.S.

Ah! Which is exactly why people are questioning Obama's fitness right now. He claims to know what we all need, but he FAILS to walk the walk. It's definitely not enough to simply be smart. One must also have an objective grasp upon societal realities, and how they affect those you plan to serve. Without that contextual understanding, your intelligence FAILS to produce positive results.

• 2 weeks later...
so just what are we thinking about.

That is a dangerous question :lol: . Thanks Ruffems for being brave enough to point out the obvious.

I did originally post this poll on the “Funny Stuff” forum. But my joke wasn't funny, and so it was transferred into the Non-EMS Discussion one.

Now, seriously: should we create an Ethics forum?

Anybody suggesting that there are hard and fast rules to be adhered to in medical ethics is VERY short on experience, and has never taken an ethics course, both of which should disqualify them from teaching.

I, actually, never took one. I am interested to see what’s in it.

I have found links to Medical School curricula online, but not the actual lessons.

Can someone please post the contents of an average US Medic School Ethics course – maybe on the File Library/Knowledge Base? That would be much appreciated.

Thank you.